Re: What is an "up to date" version?

> On 29 Oct 2017, at 10:20, Martynas Jusevičius <martynas@atomgraph.com> wrote:
>
> ETag would still need a request to check If-Modified-Since every time, which is slow.
>
> OK, I could use Cache-Control: max-age and Expires as clues. But what about servers that do not send them?

Say you are doing an important transaction, then the server can and probably should
make an extra check for safety's sake.

Otherwise the answer should be that this works very much like other HTTP
transactions without Expiry or other such fields

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/5860216/no-expires-header-sent-content-cached-how-long-until-browser-makes-conditional

A conformant browser (server in this case, since the server is acting as a client)
should probably be fetching the page every time, which of course will make the
response very slow for the end user. This type of thing also happened in
dynamically built form based sites. This ended up teaching people to set
the right headers.

Now I think a server is entitled to keep a copy of the data for as long
as it wants, as this will be useful to understand if something odd is going
on. There is no requirement for amnesia on the web.

At this time I'd probably be lenient with WebID-TLS authentications that
don't have expiry dates. But over the longer term if it gets to be successful
the existing conventional behavior will probably take over.

Henry