Re: Fwd: Acceptance of DID DRAFT Specification as a W3C Credentials CG Work Item

On 7/28/17 3:45 PM, Melvin Carvalho wrote:

> On 26 July 2017 at 03:04, Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com
> <mailto:kidehen@openlinksw.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 7/25/17 7:12 PM, Melvin Carvalho wrote:
>>     FYI: Decentralized Identifiers Specification ...

You mean: How else could you deploy a urn: (what they classify as a
persistent identifier) as the canonical identifier for an identity
system that isn't yet another silo? You can't, because defeats the
entire point of identity controlled by "us" rather than "them"
(providers of infrastructure such as: domains, hosted sites, and the like).

This solution that doesn't let me control my identity (denotation
[WebID] + connotation [WebID-Profile Doc] ) without an intermediary
being forced upon me, so it shouldn't really be pitching itself as such
(IMHO). Using a Blockchain-based ledger doesn't negate this fundamental
fact.

> WebID has a big advantage in this sense, in that it can be used with
> "follow your nose"

Yes, but I would describe that as simply being native to the abstraction
that is the Web (i.e., the HTTP URI abstraction that subsumes DNS).

> However, what about the idea of many services having a well-known area
> to look up such identifiers, it may become populated enough to offer a
> decent, relatively domain independent lookup service, over time?

That doesn't negate the fundamental contradiction regarding any protocol
that depends solely on ".well-known" for resolver implementation.

For the DID folks:

[1] https://www.w3.org/2005/Talks/1110-iswc-tbl/#(7) -- A single slide
that reminds everyone why HTTP URIs are identifiers are so powerful
[2]
http://kidehen.blogspot.com/2014/03/linked-data-deployment-tutorial.html
-- simple Linked Data deployment Tutorial

Kingsley