Re: Fwd: Acceptance of DID DRAFT Specification as a W3C Credentials CG Work Item

On 7/25/17 7:12 PM, Melvin Carvalho wrote:
> FYI: Decentralized Identifiers Specification ...

Hi Melvin,

My only concern is that did: scheme URIs depend soley on the
"/.well-known/" pattern [1] for resolver implementation. Net effect,
user's still have to control a domain as part of the quest for
self-management of identity.

An HTTP URI as Agent Identifier (as is already delivered via WebID)
doesn't have this problem, and resolution is implicit (if you leverage #
e.g., #this). In addition, it wouldn't break what they are trying to
achieve (i.e., identity explicitly controlled by individuals rather than
organizations).

My concern is that this is like WebFinger,  but using a different URI
scheme i.e., did: as opposed to mailto: .

Links:

[1] https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5785

[2] https://opencreds.github.io/did-spec/#did-resolvers -- which says
nothing about "/.well-known/" pattern even though that's the requirement.

OpenLink Software   (Home Page: http://www.openlinksw.com)

Weblogs (Blogs):
Legacy Blog: http://www.openlinksw.com/blog/~kidehen/
Blogspot Blog: http://kidehen.blogspot.com