Cert-UX for the n:th time. Was: Simple Page-Owner Token (SPOT) Authentication

On 2014-11-19 03:42, Sandro Hawke wrote:
> On 11/12/2014 01:01 AM, Anders Rundgren wrote:
>>>
>>> Thanks.   I should say the design came out of discussions with Andrei
>>> Sambra,
>>> trying to avoid the problems with poor browser support of client
>> certificates.
>>
>> Sandro, that's a very interesting statement since the W3C is just
>> about to launch
>> a continuation of WebCrypto which indeed may be focused on
>> certificates and browsers!
>>

> I'm just speaking for myself as a user and software developer; I'm not
> involved in that W3C work.  My feeling is the UX is terrible. My
> understanding is the only people who ever use it are people without a
> choice, like enterprise employees and university students.  What
> fraction of consumer websites use client certs for user
> authentication?   I've never seen one.   I think that's because the UX
> is so bad.

There are non-US markets where certificates are used for everyday chores
like on-line banking.  These services rarely offer a poor UX and that's
because they don't rely on the built-in browser PKI client; they roll their own.

A problem arises when you mention this (easy to verify fact) to US-based
vendors like Microsoft; they don't see it as their job fixing it.

Anyway, the custom PKI clients are approaching EOL since the "plugin"
concept is about to be removed from browsers.  This is a very good
thing because now this issue will finally get the attention it always
deserved which is proved by this quite recent contribution from Microsoft:
https://www.w3.org/2012/webcrypto/wiki/images/d/dd/CertAndKey_Management_Requirements_for_WebCrypto_microsoft.pdf

Whatever comes out though I don't think it will have any impacts on
TLS, it will likely operate on a higher level like WebCrypto.

-- Anders