Re: Should WebIDs denote people or accounts?

On 5/20/14 1:59 PM, Seth Russell wrote:
> I think an Account is an Agent operated by some Entity (like Facebook,
> Google, Bank, etc)  in service to some Persona.  The Persona agent
> must authenticate or identify itself to the Account agent.  So it
> would would be confusing, should be accept that ontology, to confuse
> "Account" with "Persona" ... er at least confusing to me.
Seth,

At this juncture, Sandro's concern boils down to the cert:key [1] relation.
Today, in WebID-TLS you have:

[[
WebID Claim or Claimed WebID
A WebID Certificate can be thought of as a set of statements made and
signed by a Certificate Authority. If the Certificate Authority is not
known to be one whose every statement can be trusted, then the
statements in the certificate must be thought of by a suspicious guard,
as claimed statements only, that is as statements which have not been
verified. In particular, statements about the Subject Alternative Names
of the agent that knows the private key should not be assumed to be true
until verified. A WebID Claim then is the statement of Identity between
the Subject Alternative Name and the public key in the certificate. In
Turtle this can be written as

EXAMPLE 1
:bob cert:key [ a cert:RSAPublicKey;
                 cert:modulus "00cb24ed85d64d794b..."^^xsd:hexBinary;
                 cert:exponent 65537 ] .

]]

I think, Sandro would like other claims to be used in regards to
identity verification (as opposed to one) e.g., a :holdsAccount relation.

Turtle Example

## Turtle Start ##
<#bob> <#holdsAccount> [ a <#Account> ;
                                  <#accountName>"bob" ;
                                  <#accountHolderWebPage>
<http://bob.example.com/index.html> ] .

## additional relations to flesh out the :holdsAccount relation .

## Turtle End ##

In our implementation, which isn't the norm, you have full control over
the relations that determine Identity verification. Thus, cert:key is
just a compatibility option for WebID-TLS. Naturally, this also extends
to ACLs, since only authenticated identities are tested against ACL
based rules.

Hope this clarifies the issue that I believe is troubling Sandro, which
also concerned others (like Melvin) in the past too.

Links:

[1]
http://kingsley.idehen.net/describe/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.w3.org%2Fns%2Fauth%2Fcert%23key&graph=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.w3.org%2Fns%2Fauth%2Fcert.n3

Kingsley