Re: Should WebIDs denote people or accounts?

On 19 May 2014 14:14, Sandro Hawke <sandro@w3.org> wrote:

> [...]
>

> Thanks Melvin.   Yes, exactly.  It's not about OWL, it's about the basic
> semantics of RDF, where IRIs denote things.    If you use two IRIs to
> denote something (like version1-WebIDs [thanks, TimH] denoting a human
> being) then you shouldn't expect systems to separate facts that are stated
> with one from facts that are stated with the other.
>

>   The mbox IFP is an issue.  Just as in WebID+TLS the key as IFP is also
> a problem, because it doesnt cater for edge cases of account sharing.
>

>>  In other words, if a system will follow OWL logic, then it may infer
>> that WebID #1 is the same as WebID #2. If you want to separate two
>> identities, you don't link them in the first place, but then you can't
>> really stop people from reusing email addresses in different WebID-Profile
>> documents.
>>
>>  I have two suggestions at this point:
>>
>>  1. The first is to specify that WebID-* authentication services should
>> not conflate identities unless profiles are linked through owl:sameAs,
>> which is a clear indication that identities should be linked.
>>

> I'm afraid that's basically saying WebID authentication systems should not
> follow the RDF Semantics.   In that case, it's probably not a good idea to
> be using RDF syntax.   Also, the RDF Semantics could be pretty useful.   We
> just have to model things very very carefully...
>

>      2. I personally don't think that using inverse functional properties
>> in FOAF was a good idea, so maybe we can also consider defining our own
>> WebID-profile vocabulary, though it will limit current interop. On the
>> other hand, it would help us clearly define what entities the WebID refers
>> to.
>>

>      So, this isnt a technical discussion, but rather, a branding
> discussion.
>

> I think the key bit is a lot more than branding: in version1 WebID-TLS,
> human users authenticate their web client as operating on behalf of the
> human denoted by a particular WebID.   If I have two WebIDs, since the
> WebIDs both denote me, they are synonyms.   As such, there is no logical
> distinction between them.
>
> So the problem is really one of functionality: version1 WebID does not
> allow a human being to have two logically-distinct identities.
>
> As Andrei and Kingsley have pointed out, they can still be distinct in
> practice, as long as we make sure the computers are prevented from doing
> too much logical reasoning.
>
> I don't think that's a long-term viable approach, however.
>

>   We could easily mint a relation which relates an account to other
> properties.  Kingsley created YouID as a similar brand that is slightly
> less restrictive from WebID.
>
>  The question is what the *default* should be.  In fact, the two are not
> mutually exclusive.
>
>  We're almost going into philosophy.  Are you sure that sandro@home is
> the same person as sandro@work?  I wonder what Henry thinks ...
>

> I'm 100% sure it's the same person and 100% sure it's a different

Not wishing to open a can of worms, but careful with this line of logic.
There's 100s if not 1000s of years of relevant metaphysics here.  It's a
bit like asking is God one person, three persons, or many.  Or all.  Or
none.

e.g. See John Conway's question:

"How do you define a cat, I've no idea!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2IZ1qsx4CM

I think both the "facebook way" (WebID = Person) and the "google way"
(WebID = account) both have merit.

On reflection I personally dont think either is hugely stand out from the
other.  It seems a marginal choice to me.  Facebook got to a billion users
with the single person paradigm.  And they even serve WebID and turtle.
Given we've started down that route for 7 years, Id say it makes sense not
to abandon that approach, without a good reason.

However, are the two are not mutually exclusive?

Why not just use a URI in the ACL rule and just point it to account when
you need that restriction, and person when you need the other restriction?

If we dont couple ACL to WebID, we can say.  This file is readable by this
Person OR This file is readable by this Account, yes?