Re: Should WebIDs denote people or accounts?

On 18 May 2014 19:16, Sandro Hawke <sandro@w3.org> wrote:

> On 05/18/2014 12:26 PM, Kingsley Idehen wrote:
>
>> On 5/18/14 11:13 AM, Sandro Hawke wrote:

>>> I'm fairly sure it is, Kingsley.
>>>
>>> If my WebIDs all denote me, then you can't grant access to one without
>>> granting it to all, by RDF semantics.
>>>

>> Why are you assuming that any of my profile documents have an owl:sameAs
>> relation, connection the identities denoted by the HTTP URI based
>> Identifiers? Likewise, if there's no relation facilitated by an IFP how do
>> you arrive at such, via semantics expressed in RDF based relations?
>>

> That assumption is not required.
>
> By the RDF Semantics, if two RDF IRIs denote the same thing, then all RDF
> triples that are true using one are also true using the other.
>
> What you're talking about is whether a machine might be able to figure out
> that truth.
>
> If I have two different WebIDs that denote me, and you grant access to one
> of them, it's true a machine might not immediately figure out that that
> other one also denotes me and should be granted equal access.  But if it
> ever did, it would be correct in doing so.  And I'm betting, with machines
> getting access to more and more data all the time, and doing more and more
> reasoning with it, it would figure that out pretty soon.
>
> It sounds like you're proposing building an authorization infrastructure
> that relies on machines not doing exactly what we're trying to get them to
> do everywhere else.  Sounds a bit like trying to hold back a river with
> your hands.

Consider 3 scenarios:

1. If Sandro arrives, please let him in

2. If Sandro arrives, please let him in, he will be carrying his driving
license

3. If someone arrives with Sandro's driving license, please let them in

If I've understood correctly

(1) is how WebID commonly works today with authorization.

(2) is a restriction that could be added (eg let sando login with twitter)
but something we dont do right now

(3) is a what is being proposed, as being more common, online

I think we do all three of these already today

Why would (3) be preferred over (1)?