Re: Should WebIDs denote people or accounts?

On 18 May 2014 18:26, Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com> wrote:

> On 5/18/14 11:13 AM, Sandro Hawke wrote:
>
>> On May 18, 2014 11:01:38 AM EDT, Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com>
>> wrote:

>>> TimBL about this specifically, but it sounds like he's thinking in the
>>> same direction.   In that email he's very clearly showing a WebID
>>> denoting a persona, not a person.
>>> Sandro,
>>>
>>> A WebID denoting an Agent isn't disjoint with the notion of personae.
>>>
>> I'm fairly sure it is, Kingsley.
>>
>> If my WebIDs all denote me, then you can't grant access to one without
>> granting it to all, by RDF semantics.
>>

> Why are you assuming that any of my profile documents have an owl:sameAs
> relation, connection the identities denoted by the HTTP URI based
> Identifiers? Likewise, if there's no relation facilitated by an IFP how do
> you arrive at such, via semantics expressed in RDF based relations?
>

>> To avoid that undesired fate, I think you need WebIDs to denote personas.
>>

> No, a persona is derived from the claims that coalesce around an
> identifier. A persona is a form of identification. A collection of RDF
> claims give you a persona.
>

>     As I mentioned, those personas might be software agents, but they are
>> clearly not people.
>>

> WebIDs denote Agents. An Agent could be a Person, Organization, or Machine
> (soft or hard). You can make identification oriented claims in a Profile
> Document using RDF based on a WebID.
>
> We don't have a problem have a problem here at all.

Yes, I think Kingsley has it here.

When I am entering a country I present a passport.  The are not giving
access to the passport, they are giving access to the person.

Some people have more than one passport, each will have different effects,
but the same person is using them.

> Kingsley
>

>>      - Sandro
>>
>>  When I demonstrate WebIDs across Facebook, LinkedIn Twitter, G+, and
>>> many other social media spaces [2][3], I actually refer to the whole
>>> things as being about a given persona.  None of that negates the fact
>>> that a WebID denotes an Agent.
>>>
>>> We have to loosely couple:
>>>
>>> 1. identity
>>> 2. identifiers
>>> 3. identification
>>> 4. identity verification (e.g., when authenticating identification)