Re: Question about "TLS CCA Session" versus "Web Session"

On 12 May 2014 13:50, Anders Rundgren <anders.rundgren.net@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2014-05-12 13:33, Kingsley Idehen wrote:

>>> True.  However, basic auth is even less popular than HTTPS Client Cert
>>> Auth.
>>> Form-based login rules on the web.
>>>

>>>  - All other current methods rely on cookie based authentication, and it
>>>>

>>> Fine with me.  If the mechanism is universal it would be a useful option.
>>>

>>>  I can though imagine a chrome-based identity context but it should be

>>> OK
>>>

>>>  which  is important just because with WebID one could log into all
>>>>

>>> In theory a singe certificate using WebID could log in to all sites but
>>> due to differences in
>>> policies etc. this won't happen.  I don't see that as a problem if you
>>> have a working certificate
>>> selection filter.
>>>

>>> Question: where does this leave us?
>>>
>>> Anders
>>>

>> Waiting for Chrome, Firefox, and Opera to catch up with IE (Windows) and
>>  Safari (on Mac OS X, iOS). Now if you want to look at matters through
>> "actual user" lenses, then the total users of IE and Safari completely
>> trump the users of Firefox and Chrome, who for all intents are purposes
>> fall into the "programmer / developer" user profile.
>>
>> To conclude, most end-users don't even have a problem. They can work with
>> <http://id.myopenlink.net/ods/webid_demo.html> and switch certificates
>> without restarting their browsers. As for the issues with Certificate
>> selection presentation, that's less of a problem when the Certificate
>> Generator UI aids the user accordingly re., CN attribute values.
>>
>> As is often the case, the programmer is making an incorrect assumption
>> about end-users based on the programmers own preferred combination of host
>> operating system, development tools, and test applications (e.g.,, browser
>> in this case). Windows, Mac OS X, and iOS end-users don't have a problem
>> because they use the default browsers provided by the OS.
>>
>> If I have <http://id.myopenlink.net/ods/webid_demo.html> tweaked (which
>> I will), such that it tests for Firefox/Mozilla, even users of that
>> particular browser will be able to authenticate without restarting the
>> browser -- since the HTML page served up from the server will include the
>> necessary JS code achieving this goal.
>>

> This discusson doesn't go forward.
>
> Google, Microsoft, PayPal and a lot of other big players recently
> put their money on U2F which is completely new solution. There must be
> reasons for not bulding on the already deployed platform, right?
>
> Not until the WebID folks understand the motives behing the U2F we
> can expect any progress in this space.

WebID + U2F works too, there are many flavours.

WebID + OpenID -- we have working demos of this

WebID + Facebook Connect -- all facebook users have a WebID located at
graph.facebook.com which server RDF/turtle

WebID + cookie

WebID + username / password

WebID + OAuth

WebID + TLS

etc. etc.

Just pick your favourite solution and use that.  If there isnt a bridge,
build your own.  WebID + TLS is just for those that want to manage their
keys on the client via X.509, until Web Crypto API comes out and offers
more choice ...