Re: New official drafts published. [via WebID Community Group]

On 2014-05-01 16:04, henry.story@bblfish.net wrote:

> On 30 Apr 2014, at 07:02, Anders Rundgren <anders.rundgren.net@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 2014-04-30 06:04, Andrei Sambra wrote:
>>> Hi Anders,

>>> The point is that if the resource has no ACL policy of if it allows
>>> everyone to access it, then there is no need to authenticate the request
>>> anymore.
>>
>> Yes, this is stated in step 3.
>>
>> I interpret your answer as WebID-TLS presumes a rather unusual Web server and TLS arrangement
>> where resources are dynamically requesting TLS CCA (Client Certificate Authentication).
>>
>> Personally I think it would be wiser sticking to the more established static protected/public
>> notion and postpone authorization to step 7.
>
> In that case you end up asking users for their certificate even if you don't need it,
> which is not user friendly. But if you don't care about user friendliness, you can go
> and ask for the certificate up front anyway.

Since you don't know who is requesting the resource before you have actually
authenticated the user (asking for the certificate), I would pre-compute which
resources that need authentication or not.

The only drawback with static protected/public is as far as I can see that
URLs would change if the protection was changed.  I would be interested to
know how you deal with dynamic TLS CCA in for example Tomcat.

Anders