Re: Publishing updated spec documents.

On 3 Mar 2014, at 18:16, bergi <bergi@axolotlfarm.org> wrote:

> Am 25.02.2014 17:17, schrieb Andrei Sambra:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I would like to formally invite everyone to review the current version
>> of the specs for WebID [1] and WebID-TLS [2] so that we can have a
>> formal call this Friday (Feb 28th), at the usual time [3]. The purpose
>> of this call will be to agree on the contents of the new documents so
>> that the editors can finally publish them.
>>
>> Best,
>> Andrei
>>

>> [1] https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/WebID/raw-file/tip/spec/identity-respec.html
>> [2] https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/WebID/raw-file/tip/spec/tls-respec.html
>> [3] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/webid/wiki/Main_Page#Meetings
>
> Can we remove the HTTP protocol restriction from the Identity spec? I
> think the idea for the separation was to have an abstract/generic
> definition of WebID, and a separate spec for initial implementation
> (i.e., WebID+TLS). This abstract definition should just reference IRIs
> (without scheme), so in the future other specs could be based on our
> work. At the same time, people who implement WebID+TLS today with RDF
> (and thus HTTP) can be sure they support the whole spec.

Hi Bergi,

   that's not possible. TimBL initially wanted a restrictions on http uris,
at the last F2F we voted on this restriction, and then we had 5 months
discussion on it + a formal vote.

   It will be possible to relax this later, but over generalising on a protocol
does not help adoption, it just tends to hide complexities.

Henry