Re: Loosely Coupled Identification and Authentication Demo -- Microsoft IdP

On 6/29/14 7:24 PM, Peter Williams wrote:
> We cannot have a “more” list of 3 million icons. And I have no
> intention of using an American brand (like Microsoft or Google, or
> ...l) for anything that has the slightest value.
>
> What do we do?
Peter,

You don't have to remember or type in a URI when accessing a protected
resource using the Virtualized Authentication Layer (VAL) referred to in
my earlier post. I've produced a screenshot from my ODS (OpenLink Data
Spaces) based Briefcase (our equivalent of OneDrive, Dropbox, Google
Drive etc..) that displays the current authenticated identity associated
with a user agent session [1].

If I wanted to make a more fine-grained acl, scoped to a specific URI, I
would simply copy and paste that URI for use in my ACL. As for users,
they never need to type anything when accessing protected resources,
they simply click on a button.

If you wanted to use your Microsoft URI in the SAN of an X.509 cert you
have two choices:

1. Simply generate your x.509 cert (Digital Identity Card) using YouID
-- take the Microsoft PdP (Profile Data Provider) route with one of the
following as the IdP (Identity Provider -- service that stores public
part of your Identification oriented Claims) OneDrive, Dropbox, Google
Drive etc..

2. Do it by hand using provider certificate generator provided by
relevant operating system.

Either way, our NetID-TLS (a superset of WebID-TLS) protocol with handle
identity claims authentication. In short, that's what happens when you
click on the buttons presented by the VAL dialog.

Links:

[1] http://susepaste.org/35303595 -- My Identifier from Microsoft's Data
Space (which is comprised of millions of other user accounts for every
Microsoft app/service user)