Re: Quick summary - Re: WebID lack of adoption, was Re: Turtle and JSON-LD Matter

On 20 July 2014 08:42, henry.story@bblfish.net <henry.story@bblfish.net>
wrote:

> On the Turtle discussion: I completely agree with Sandro's explanation
> for why one should restrict the syntaxes to a MUST for Turtle. Anyone
> is free to add more syntaxes to their servers, including JSON-LD. Later
> we can revise this. Not having mandatory syntax lead to client complexity
> that would create barriers for adoption. ( I will add a JSON-LD Parser
> as soon as I find one to rww-play )
>
> As to Sandro's points about WebID+TLS's lack of adoption, this has more to
> do in my view with lack of good applications being build. myprofile.eu
> currently WebID-Auth does not work for example. WebID Auth really comes
> into its own with systems like LDP and Web Access control, and these are
> just being finalised. So instead of wasting time discussing lack of
> adoption,
> I'd say just take LDP + WebID + WAC and write some cool decentralised apps.
>
> The rest of Sandro's arguments about hash uri's are just waste of time
> arguments.
> - I never had problems explaining this to developers, and getting
> very good understanding. If you explain it correctly as in the
> diagram its easy.
> - The WebID URIs are not meant to be viewed or written by end-user.
>   They go into certificates ( TLS or JSON LD ones when they come ) and
>   are linked to by other profiles. Users just click buttons. WebID Uris
>   are efficient _and_ user friendly because no user needs to handle the
> URIs.

Nothing wrong with exposing the URI to the end user, or to a developer,
imho.  This is analogous to having a URL in the browser address bar.  I
would argue that you could remove the address bar in the browser, for a
simpler user experience, but that it would probably be a mistake.