Re: WebID lack of adoption, was Re: Turtle and JSON-LD Matter

On 7/18/14 8:19 AM, Melvin Carvalho wrote:

> They sure do!  Not just programmers, we use this all the time.
>
> "What is the connotation of that metaphorical image? But when you
> understand a metaphor—you know, just high school grammar language—when
> you interpret the metaphor in terms of the denotation instead of the
> connotation, you’ve lost the message. That’s like going into a
> restaurant and reading the menu and deciding what you’re going to eat,
> and you eat that part of the menu. The menu is a reference to
> something transcendent of that piece of paper."
>
> --Joseph Campbell

+1

The issue is that most programmers hone their craft imperatively, and as
a consequence the miss the point. This is why most programs don't
actually work for end-user, especially when end-users are engaged [1].

> If you confuse connotation and denotation you're going to be in a
> whole world of confusion.

+1

>     When does a Java programmer, maybe working with SQL, ever think
>     "here are my customer identifiers" and "here are my customer
>     record identifiers"?

Sandro:

SQL programmers are always working with identifiers that denote Tables,
Views, Store Procedures, Indexes, Primary Keys, Foreign Keys. In short,
we even have a tool that shows how those identifiers are silo vectors
while HTTP URIs are data de-silo-fication vectors [2][3][4].

>      Never.  They have identifiers which they sometimes treat as
>     identifying the customers and sometimes treat as identifying the
>     customer records.

They even make up their own keys, as a consequence of confusion and/or
limitations of the SQL RDBMS product(s) they are locked into etc.

Links:

[1] https://plus.google.com/112399767740508618350/posts/26AYNLeeb6m --
effects of imperative programming that dominate app/service development
landscape
[2] http://demo.openlinksw.com/XMLAexplorer/XMLAexplorer.html -- use
username and pwd "vdb" to interact with this SQL and RDF hybrid client
[3] http://bit.ly/1xFuw34 -- post about SQL Server data de-silo-fication
[4] http://bit.ly/1rk0s76 -- post about Oracle data de-silo-fication .