Re: Turtle and JSON-LD Matter

On 7/16/14 8:01 PM, Sandro Hawke wrote:
>>>    Maybe worthwhile, but there's a real cost.
>> >
>> >The cost is a perception. The real cost calculation should be based on
>> >the dearth of WebID-* implementations, since inception. Add that to all
>> >
>> >time spent explaining what WebID-* is about, after all of these years.
>> >
> I think there are several reasons WebID and WebID-TLS have seen only meager adoption.    I don't think what the specs say about RDF syntaxes are a big part of that.
>
>     - Sandro

And what are these issues that are unrelated to RDF? The UI/UX
misconceptions swirling around TLS CCA (Client Certificate
Authentication) as implemented by browsers?

If LDP would have put JSON-LD and Turtle on equal standing, why can't
this happen to WebID-* which hasn't even got anywhere close to the
formal status of LDP?

I simply want adoption of these efforts. Thus, anything that leads to
broader adoption is good. Basing any RDF based spec on a single notation
via MUST always leads to the same adoption-inertia generating
misconceptions.

As per my response to Andrei, for now, adding JSON-LD examples to the
relevant WebID-* documents is a useful tweak that will at the very least
get more JSON oriented developers to look at WebID-*.

We can do better in regards to managing the non technical aspects of
open standards adoption. First step boils down to be more accommodating
of other notations for representing RDF statements. You can reduce the
adoption-inertia generating effects of MUST via lots of examples that
render it moot, so to speak.