Re: Publishing updated spec documents.

On 2/25/14 2:17 PM, henry.story@bblfish.net wrote:

>> >I don't have issues with either, my fundamental concern is that they shouldn't be conflated in any way i.e.., #1 can be released before #2, if need be.
>> >
>> >I just want the docs out there.
>> >
>> >Our biggest challenge right now is the decoupling of WebID (the HTTP URI that denotes an Agent) from the WebID+TLS authentication protocol, which is ultimately one of many protocols that will be used to verify WebIDs.
> yes, they are nicely decoupled now. WebID TLS relies on WebID definition, and not the other way around.
>
> The next big things are really Web Access Control ( apart from a few improvements one can perhaps make to WebID TLS )

If we can get this out on time, we have prime attention real estate
(increasingly scarce these days) for things like:

[1] Authentication Protocol(s)
[2] ACLs.

Here's is a very quick and dirty dump of the kind of narrative we can
ride, on the back of the MITM issues that Apple has brought to the fore:

Actors identified by the combination of Literal Identifiers, CAs, and
Hostnames:

1. Alice sends a message to Bob, which is intercepted by Mallory:
Alice "Hi Bob, it's Alice. Give me your key"-->  Mallory      Bob
2. Mallory relays this message to Bob; Bob cannot tell it is not really
from Alice:
Alice      Mallory "Hi Bob, it's Alice. Give me your key"--> Bob
3. Bob responds with his encryption key:
Alice      Mallory   <--[Bob's_key] Bob
4. Mallory replaces Bob's key with her own, and relays this to Alice,
claiming that it is Bob's key:
Alice   <--[Mallory's_key] Mallory      Bob
5. Alice encrypts a message with what she believes to be Bob's key,
thinking that only Bob can read it:
Alice "Meet me at the bus stop!"[encrypted with Mallory's key]-->
Mallory      Bob
6. However, because it was actually encrypted with Mallory's key,
Mallory can decrypt it, read it, modify it (if desired), re-encrypt with
Bob's key, and forward it to Bob:
Alice      Mallory "Meet me at 22nd Ave!"[encrypted with Bob's key]-->   Bob
7. Bob thinks that this message is a secure communication from Alice.

Actors identified by the combination of Reference based Identifiers
(e.g., HTTP URI) based Identifiers and a Web of Trust logic:

1. <#Alice> sends a message to <#Bob>, which <#Mallory> would like to
intercept:
<#Alice> "Hi Bob, it's Alice. Give me your key" --> <#Mallory>  attempts
to intercept and impersonate <#Bob>
2. <#Mallory> relays this message to <#Bob>; but (thanks to WebID tweak
of TLS handshake) <#Bob> *can* tell it is not really from <#Alice>
because his user agent looks up (by way of HTTP URI de-reference)
<#Alice> in the SAN of the certificate used in the TLS handshake only to
find that the public key presented by <#Mallory> can't be found in the
profile document that describes <#Alice> so this fails, and <#Bob> knows
it isn't <#Alice>
3. Then end -- Mallory has to find a way to place her public key in a
profile document situated (located) in a point of network presence
controlled by <#Alice> (not impossible in the NSA era, but eternally
brittle since the burden is not long skewed against <#Alice> i.e., she
can make certs and SAN combos with ease).

We just need to flesh this narrative out, and compliment with a nice
illustration etc..

Let's strike while the iron is red hot!