Re: [foaf-dev] Credentials Community Group

On 8/2/14 6:38 AM, Melvin Carvalho wrote:

> On 1 August 2014 23:10, Anders Rundgren <anders.rundgren.net@gmail.com
> <mailto:anders.rundgren.net@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 2014-08-01 16:21, Kingsley Idehen wrote:
>
>         On 8/1/14 3:57 AM, Anders Rundgren wrote:
>
>     <snip>
>

>             Since Google can put *hundreds of people* on developing
>             various browser/platform goodies while we appear not
>             having a *single* browser-developer at our disposal
>             (although our task is *much more difficult* than
>             supporting "super-provider" schemes like Apple, Google or
>             PayPal), I think we are currently pretty much stuck.
>

>         -1000
>

>     There's a simple explanation to why there are huge disagreements
>     regarding this point:
>
>     A bunch of people here want to build something based on the
>     existing web technology and then get W3C's "Stamp of approval" as
>     a part of their marketing of the software.  "We actually wrote the
>     standard".
>

> Everyone has different motivations.  Personally, I simply was
> searching for a technology that would handle my use cases ie
> decentralized login and payments.  To my complete amazement, no one
> had ever done that.  I never dreamed I would be following standards
> work or interested in the semantic web.  I understand your mindset,
> because I started as a sceptic, like most web 2.0 developers, but it's
> only once I discovered what it was that I realized it was the only
> technology that can handle the use cases I wanted, namely to make a
> website without lock in that I'd be happy to use myself, and that I'd
> be comfortable delivering to others.  Web payments + WebID is pretty
> much the only way to do this, if another technology comes along that's
> decentralized I'll happily use it, but I dont know of any other group
> out there focussed on making truly decentralized, universal, modular
> technology.
Yep!

For as long as I've worked with computer technology, the following
issues have been eternally overlooked (deliberately or inadvertently):

1. Data Representation
2. Data Access & Connectivity
3. Identity .

Now, if you get to the roots of 1&2 you hit 3. Most applications
developers (esp. those that program imperatively) do not focus on these
matters, so each solution ends up being a silo (data and identity).

We cannot make a "new silo" to solve the "eternal app silo" problem
i.e., we can't construct some divine master of all apps to which the
world eventually complies. What we can do, is develop and use standards
that ensure the openness of 1-3,  as exemplified by those pursuing
solutions to these matters -- no matter the amount cognitive-dissonance
placed in their paths.

[1] http://bit.ly/SXGj8K -- About Apps & Data Silos

[2] http://slidesha.re/TBMT0Q -- Size does not matter if your data is in
a silo .