Re: Beginning work on an official Web Access Control spec.

Hi Phil and thank you for your feedback!

On Thu, Oct 17, 2013 at 7:28 PM, Phil Archer <phila@w3.org> wrote:

> Thanks again for raising this, Andrei.
>
> I know you've been doing a lot of work on this at MIT and from what you
> and others have said it's clear that there's a lot of work in the public
> domain. Good. The road from there to an actual standard is though still
> quite steep I'm afraid.
>
> The W3C members are currently reviewing a proposal that will merge and
> expand upon the Semantic Web and eGovernment activities and that includes a
> couple of new working groups [1,2] (if approved, it makes me Data Activity
> Lead too so that's why I'm responding to you). We're also expecting a new
> WG to be formed following the recent RDF Validation workshop [3]. Our
> resources are, of course, finite and so committing resources - I mean Team
> time - to a new WG can't happen without a lot of evidence that the work is
> needed, likely to be implemented, and makes a real impact on the Web. And
> even then we actually have to have a team member available. The vehicle to
> gather that evidence is a Community Group and I strongly encourage you to
> start one of those.

Then I guess there would be no problem if we officially do the work within
the RWW group.

> Use the CG to gather evidence of demand, existing and likely
> implementations, and to build the community as widely as possible. You can
> write a document that looks a lot like a standard too. See the ODRL CG's
> output for instance! [4]. If you can do all that - and it's hard - then we
> *might* be able to consider a new WG sometime next year.

That's fine, my intention was not necessarily to create a new WG. I think
we'll be able to do this work within the RWW or the WebID group.

> Don't be put off - the CG route is made for situations like this and I
> hope it will be successful in developing ideas for WebACL - we need it.
> True, it doesn't get you access to the Zakim bridge, no. But you get just
> about everything else [5] and Google Hangouts, Skype, WebEx, GoToMeeting
> and so on provide reasonable alternatives.

No worries, I'm quite familiar with the W3C standardization process. Would
there be any problem with us using the Zakim bridge for a new conf call
slot as part of the WebID IG? Basically to have a weekly WebID call and
maybe another call for WAC?

Best,
Andrei