Re: Domain of :key

On 29 March 2013 18:35, Henry Story <henry.story@bblfish.net> wrote:

> On 29 Mar 2013, at 18:32, Melvin Carvalho <melvincarvalho@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

> On 29 March 2013 18:28, Henry Story <henry.story@bblfish.net> wrote:
>

>> On 29 Mar 2013, at 18:24, Melvin Carvalho <melvincarvalho@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>

>> On 29 March 2013 18:15, Henry Story <henry.story@bblfish.net> wrote:
>>

>>> On 29 Mar 2013, at 16:28, Melvin Carvalho <melvincarvalho@gmail.com>
>>> wrote:

>>> Please reread what you wrote.  First you said you can not, now you say
>>> you can.  This makes little sense.
>>>

>>> I am developing the consequences of your proposal. mvn:key does what you
>>> want.
>>> But does it do what WE need it to do? My argument is that it does not
>>> make things simpler
>>> as you claimed it does. In fact it raises a whole bunch of issues, and
>>> puts work on our
>>> plate for a benefit that is completely hypothetical.
>>>

>> As I said, please reread your sentences, they dont make sense.  I suspect
>> you have typoed something somewhere.
>>

>> Please just define mvn:key put it up somwhere and then we can discuss.

>>> Eiffel Tower   "has" key ... [ pubkey ]
>>>
>>> just like <#hjs>  "has" name "Henry Story".
>>>
>>> It's your example, you can decide what it means.
>>>
>>> What is the purpose of your example, are you trying to raise a counter
>>> example?
>>>

>>> I am developing YOUR example. You are the one in charge of the meaning
>>> of mlv:key .
>>> So it is up to you to tell me what it means. I don't know what it means
>>> for the eiffel tower
>>> to have a public key. Or I don't know what to make of that information.
>>> I don't know how
>>> I would decide if it were true or false for example. Ie: the meaning of
>>> that statement is not
>>> clear.
>>>

>> mlv : key and eiffel tower are your examples
>>
>> you seem to have constructed a triple that is either non nonsensical or
>> ambiguous
>>
>> unsure what this proves
>>

>> dbPedia:EiffelTower mlv:key key .
>>
>> is a sentence that your ontology allows since the domain is anything. So
>> what would it mean
>> for a shoe, the eiffel tower, or an atom to have a key? How would I know
>> it is true or if it is false?
>>

> there's probably an uncountable number of triples that are ambiguous or
> nonsensical
>
> what does it mean for a rainbow to have a smile?
>

> We are not trying to develop ontologies here to write poetry.  That sounds
> like a fun exercise,
> but for another list.

Read tim's 'working without being hijacked by ambiguity' ... you brought in
the eiffel tower having a private key.  Why?

People are trying to work, not consider esoteric ambiguous edge cases.

> isnt it an exercise for the reader?
>
> you can use the sem web to write nonsense, that can never be forbidden,
> what does it prove?
>

> So why do you say it is nonsense for the Eiffel Tower to have a key? How
> would I know that
> it is rather than not?

I'm just unsure what point you are trying to prove by trying to contruct
sentences which dont, on the surface make much sense.

If you're trying to raise a point, please explain if there's an objection.

I've introduced a non breaking change, which in my view is a bug, if
something breaks, please do say so.

Else we can just reach a consensus and move forward.