Re: Domain of :key

On 29 March 2013 11:01, Henry Story <henry.story@bblfish.net> wrote:

> [...]
>>> speaking of.
>>> And one would need to  compare that to the definition of foaf:Agent.
>>>
>>> Say for sake of argument that you think of such an account more as a
>>> bucket, in which you
>>> can add money like you could add water to a bucket, and from which you
>>> can remove money
>>> as you could pour water out of a bucket into someone else's glass. Here
>>> thinking of the bucket as
>>> an Agent does not sound right.
>>>

>> This is a great analogy.  Each bitcoin account is like a bucket that
>> contains 0 or more bitcoins.
>>
>> It makes no assumptions whatsoever about ownership.  Indeed, there need
>> be no concept of ownership.
>>

>> There has to be a relation between an agent that knows the private key
>> and can prove its ownership
>> of that key, at least in so far as it signed the private key. That
>> requires the relation between an agent
>> and a key, which cert:key is about.
>>

> cert : key can be used for this.
>

>>> Then you can think of the access to the bucket as being restricted to
>>> certain
>>> agents. In which case you can use the Web Access Control vocabulary.
>>>
>>>  http://www.w3.org/wiki/WebAccessControl
>>>
>>> The wac ontology relates an Agent(a), a resource, and actions that can
>>> be done on those
>>> resources.
>>>
>>> So there are a number of ways of relating different things. One does not
>>> need to use cert:key
>>> for each of these ways of relating them.
>>>

>> It would be great if I could say
>>
>> <> a foaf : OnlineAccount
>>   cert : key [ ... ]
>>
>> Independent of any ownership details.
>>

>> You can say that, but not with the cert:key relation. Changing the
>> cert:key relation means
>> we then have to change all the specs.
>>
>> I'd rather we now finish the specs as we have them, so that we can
>> propose this to the
>> W3C for a Working Group. BitCoin can then join that Working Group by
>> proposing a clear
>> use case, with an ontology that it is using, which can then be used to
>> extend the ontology.
>> This XG is past the end of its life time, and this is not the time to
>> make drastic revisions.
>>

> Yes totally agree we should move forward ASAP.
>
> I think this is a minor bug fix.  The cert ontology is not about WebID
> it's about certificates and security.  We can fix it in the hg like we
> quickly fixed some bugs earlier this week, and added DSA.
>
> Why do you think this is a drastic change, I dont think any
> implementations need change?
>

> Because we have defined a WebID as an identifier for an Agent, not an
> identifier for any
> resource. We have defined WebID auth over TLS as identifying an Agent,
> that can prove
> the private key of the public key. Here we now need to add new text in
> every spec in order
> to speak about accounts. We would then need to rework all these specs.

I'm trying to follow the logic here.

Let's consider Mo's proposal just to widen the range to something like rdfs
: Resource

A WebID can still be an agent, yes?

Why do you feel the webid spec would be forced to change.  Would leaving
the text the same introduce a bug or inaccuracy?  My suggestion is to leave
the webid specs the same.

> The WebAcessControl implementations and ontologies also need to be
> reworked sine
> they are working in terms of agents.

Why would WAC implementations need change?  Im unsure this is inaccurate.
Again I propose leaving implementations untouched.

> So you are asking us to revise something for a use case you call bitcoin
> for which we have
> no idea how they would write up their ontology, if they even need what you
> suggest they may
> need, etc... It's a lot of hypotheticals for something that is easy to add
> later with a new relation,
> or for which they may in fact be satisfied with what we have.

This is not use case driven.  I gave an example.

I repeat I think it's a bug in the cert ontology that would come up in an
XG or WG.

I may be wrong but I thought this was a simple fix.

> This is a lot of work, and until bitcoin is really sitting at the table,
> which they will only do
> as part of a WG then we are just speaking hypothetically.

It need not be a lot of work.  Bug fixes in specs should have a fast turn
around.