Re: Important Change to HTTP semantics re. hashless URIs

On Mon, Mar 25, 2013 at 9:42 AM, Mo McRoberts <Mo.McRoberts@bbc.co.uk> wrote:
> On Sun 2013-Mar-24, at 17:39, Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com> wrote:
>
>> All,
>>
>> Here is a key HTTP enhancement from Hypertext Transfer Protocol (HTTP/1.1): Semantics and Content note from IETF [1].
>>
>> "
>>   4.  If the response has a Content-Location header field and its
>>       field-value is a reference to a URI different from the effective
>>       request URI, then the sender asserts that the payload is a
>>       representation of the resource identified by the Content-Location
>>       field-value.  However, such an assertion cannot be trusted unless
>>       it can be verified by other means (not defined by HTTP).
>> "
>>

> It's good to have the clarification (the wording in the new draft is nicer), but it's probably worth stressing that Content-Location isn't at all new, and this *mostly* amounts to a tidying-up of wording rather than a change in semantics.
>
> Section 14.14 of RFC2616 (HTTP/1.1) states:
>
> “The Content-Location entity-header field MAY be used to supply the resource location for the entity enclosed in the message when that entity is accessible from a location separate from the requested resource's URI."
>
> The biggest change here is actually the “However, such an assertion cannot be trusted..." part!
>
> M.

TimBL's proposal 25 was about introducing a new header (e.g.,
"Document:") with the semantics that I believe are being discussed
here.

At that time, I asked him about the relation between Content-Location
and Document [1]:

On Sun, Apr 1, 2012 at 5:14 PM, Tim Berners-Lee <timbl@w3.org> wrote:

> On 2012-03 -29, at 18:26, Erik Isaksson wrote:
>
>> Would the Document header be sort of a strengthened version of
>> Content-Location, with the difference that the returned representation
>> is not a "representation of the target resource" (i.e., probe URI)?
>
> Yes, exactly.
> I though if using Location: but hadn't checked that there wasn't any way in which this use
> would clash wit the normal use of "Location:".

Quote from further down in Hypertext Transfer Protocol (HTTP/1.1):
Semantics and Content [2]:

"   o  For a response to a GET or HEAD request, this is an indication
      that the effective request URI refers to a resource that is
      subject to content negotiation and the Content-Location field-
      value is a more specific identifier for the selected
      representation."

So Content-Location provides a "more specific identifier", which I
don't think helps us with avoiding 303. Anyway, personally, I think
we're along the right track here.

Best regards,
Erik

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-tag/2012Apr/0009.html