Re: Fwd: Interesting critique of OAuth by one of its creators

On 3/22/13 11:43 AM, Melvin Carvalho wrote:
> FYI: interesting piece

The kicker:

"In order to achieve a situation where users can securely authorize
third party software, without giving over their personal credentials
(passwords), I recommend that these services have a page where they can
generate new credentials (keys) which the user can copy and paste. They
can then name these keys themselves (avoiding application registration
hassle), and set permissions upon them themselves. Since the user is the
one initiating the key creation, and copying and pasting it themselves,
they cannot fall prey to a man-in-the-middle attack where the third
party software initiates the authorization process."

That's putting the value of de-referencable URIs, RDF graphs (for all
kinds of entity relationship semantics),  RDF based Linked Data, and TLS
into clear perspective.

We should seize the moment!