Re: WebID History - is also: Webid Editor/Author issue

On 1 June 2013 18:26, Henry Story <henry.story@bblfish.net> wrote:

> [...]
>>>
>>> Given that he WROTE the first spec, and contributed many edits, it's a
>>> difficult position to take that he provided none of these.
>>>

>>> Well that is what I disagree with, and which I have always found quite
>>> rude in Manu's position.
>>> He formatted  the work we had done in the prevous two years into a w3c
>>> format, and never
>>> mentioned the previous work, which was published on the W3C web site.
>>>
>>>   http://www.w3.org/2008/09/msnws/papers/foaf+ssl.html
>>>

>> This version certainly does mention the previous paper
>>
>> http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/webid/spec/drafts/ED-webid-20100711/
>>

>> yes, I added that later to keep track of the history. It should of course
>> also be added
>> at the end of the Change History, since parts of the spec were directly
>> taken from that document.
>>

>>> Just compare how close Manu's "foundational" text here is to the above:
>>>
>>>   https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/WebID/raw-file/25ba7f596f07/index-respec.html
>>>
>>> You will see the first two paragraphs just are copied straight out of
>>> that paper.
>>> Manu's work just is _not_  foundational of WebID.
>>>
>>> Had he joined the WebID group and continued to contribute as an editor
>>> then the continued work over time would have been something to seriously
>>> take into consideration.
>>>
>>> Anyway now that I understand the role of the author, we have very good
>>> reason to
>>> keep Bruno Harbulot, and others who were present in the early workings
>>> out of WebID.
>>> I really appreciate those days when we had tightly argued discussions on
>>> the
>>> mailing list, and we made huge leaps and bounds of progress.
>>>

>>> If you definitively feel that he should not be there, then he's said he
>>> wont contest it, but it does not do wonder in terms of "communications and
>>> image" for webid.
>>>

>>> What do you think it does to the image of WebID if someone whose name is
>>> as an author,
>>> goes around attacking webid with bad arguments?
>>>

>> Because it would be better to do in private, if you felt strongly about
>> it.  Consider how this thread would appear to a newcomer to the group, or
>> someone with a casual interest.
>>

>> I agree that it is better to do things in private like this, but Manu's
>> attack on WebID on the RWW mailing list
>> was in public, and so was the intiation of this thread.
>>

> It was not an 'attack', Manu was asked why he did not use WebID for
> payments and he listed good points and bad points, according to his
> understanding, and showed the gaps his work covered.  Where his knowledge
> was out of date, he corrected his points.  It doesnt help that the latest
> specs are hard to find, nor linked to the main webid site.
>

> concerning hard to find, I asked if someone would like to improve the file
> that currently does
> an HTTP redirect to point instead to the two files. I am very busy on the

But it's hard even to find that file, eg though a search engine like google.

> [...]
>> webid to a WG we needed to write a charter.  That was the next key action
>> for the XG.  Timbl said that writing a charter is a substantial amount of
>> work and that sometimes the result of a whole XG is simply to create a
>> charter.
>>
>> I consider writing a spec to be also challenging in this regard.  Manu
>> took a huge number of inputs curated and edited them and presented them in
>> a way that partially survives today.
>>

>> That is indeed the case. But we started writing blog posts, then wrote
>> academic papers, then went to
>> W3C conferences with position papers and did a lot of work that is pretty
>> much indistinguishable from
>> spec writing.
>>
>> Although much of the document was taken from previous sources, it's hard
>> to claim that there was no original text at all.  e.g. I dont recall seeing
>> the term "verification agent" which is used in todays spec previously, but
>> there are numerous other edits.
>>

>> Nobody is claiming that there was nothing brought to the table at all. I
>> have not removed Manu from the
>> contributors list either.
>>

>> To prove manu did not make a foundational contribution, you need to prove
>> that ALL of the document(s) was contained no foundational input from Manu.
>> This is not obviously the case, but if you feel strongly about it, perhaps
>> it would be better for the image of webid to continue that privately, in a
>> conversation with Manu.
>>

>> One thing one could do is in the Change History section put:
>>
>>  - ...
>>  - 2010-07-11 Manu Sporny's first draft in HTML format
>>  - the 2008 paper presented at the W3C Workshop on the Future of Social
>> Networking <http://www.w3.org/2008/09/msnws/>"
>>  - perhaps a short summary of the preceeding work.
>>
>> The text by Coralie says that there is also an importance of consistency
>> of participation
>>
>>  Criteria for authorship are the expressed interest (agreed to by the
>> Chairs) to be listed as an author and the substance and quality of the
>> contributions. The Chairs look at the consistency of participation, the
>> willingness to take action items, and how much "authoring" the WG member
>> actually accomplished.
>>

>> and so there is where I find it a bit topsy turvy to list Manu, when he
>> has not been helping out
>> over close to 3 years, and not others. It was easier to list him as a
>> contributor.
>>

> This *may* be a criteria for removal from the current spec, but I dont see
> why you should remove his authorship from the original specs.  In any case,
> I think your points would have come across more effectively if there was
> less hyperbole.  This comes across as reactionary, and at worst petty.  As
> Tim states in his book, 'The web is more a social creation than a technical
> one'.  The social web is about building bridges :)
>

> I did not remove him from the current spec, I just changed his role.

OK, to be clear.  You just want to change his role in the current spec, and
keep his name as author on the original and previous specs?

To change someone's role due to inactivity seems allowable under the text,
tho I suggest consulting with them privately first.