WebID History - is also: Webid Editor/Author issue

Dear Manu Sporny,

   thanks for the detailed feedback for your point of view.
Let me put your view of WebID into the larger context
of the history of WebID.

By the time you came to the WebID party, we had already spent over
2 and a half years working on foaf+ssl - now WebID+TLS.  You
can follow the back links in the current WebID-specification and you will get
to the following version, which was the first one published on a
W3C web site, and so having a reliable URL:

  http://www.w3.org/2008/09/msnws/papers/foaf+ssl.html

The Contributors to that version were

  Bruno Harbulot, Ian Jacobi, Toby Inkster and me .

These are the people I would put as being core to the WebID history,
including some of the people who contributed to the early discussion
here:

  http://lists.foaf-project.org/pipermail/foaf-protocols/2008-October/000000.html

As you see it starts in 2008-03-25. In fact the spec needs to be updated and take
into account this early history. And that is why I have Toby Inkster and
Bruno Harbulot still on the Author's list.

The history of the spec as it is currently starts with the version you
put together, which fails to take into account the huge amount of research
that we put together before your contribution. For example the ESWC paper
where Bruno Harbulot and I explain formally the functioning of WebID+TLS

  http://bblfish.net/tmp/2009/05/spot2009_submission_15.pdf

At some point  on the foaf+ssl mailing list we thought we should put
together a good looking  version of the spec. You did that initial work
and put your name down as editor. This was 2010-07-11

  https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/WebID/raw-file/25ba7f596f07/index-respec.html

So thanks a lot, that was a very nice contribution.

Then we allowed everyone to clone the spec and edit it, in a bit of a
bazaare way. You were playing the role of the editor. Things went quickly
initially, and then slowed down in part because it was a bit politically
tricky writing over other people's edits. Also it turned out you wanted to do
something very different than what we had started off with, something
that in fact you have worked on and ended up calling WebKeys. I was
very keen on keeping things very simple, so that it did one thing well
and not more.

In the end you and I were the only people attending the teleconferences you
had organised. I think that by August 2010 things had pretty much died down.
So your contribution to the spec was for about 1 to 2 months.
   http://lists.foaf-project.org/pipermail/foaf-protocols/2010-July/003037.html
I frankly thought it had been more than that.

In August 2010 I passed by DERI in Gallway and there met Michael Hausenblas
( https://www.facebook.com/events/155476221135576/ ), who was much better
than me at organising things, and he gave me the courage to go to the W3C.
You'll notice that his name is on the W3C WebID Incubator group page.
   http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/webid/
I also went to TPAC 2010 http://www.w3.org/2010/11/TPAC/ as it was in Lyon,
and there sought further advice on what should be done.
In December we finally got round to proposing an Incubator Group, which
was accepted. See the discussion on the mailing list:
   http://lists.foaf-project.org/pipermail/foaf-protocols/2010-December/004203.html
The spec we continued with still had at that time a lot of code you had checked
in, as you can see here.

   https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/WebID/annotate/c5234ae5aaca/index-respec.html

If one removes the HTML W3C templating text then one could say the text is still
1/3 text you checked in at that point.

   Even though you were invited you did not wish to participate in the Incubator
Group. Clearly your idea of where you wanted to go with a standard in this space
was different than where the community went. There was no bar to your coming in,
or to you participating.

   So in the mean time we have put more than 2 years of work into this spec.
Which meant reading a lot of e-mails considering a lot of points of views,
developing new code, etc... Now if I even just look at the contributions to the
text of the spec of the January 2012 version which is the one published
currently and listing you as author, there is absolutely no text that remains
from what you put in initially

  https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/WebID/annotate/ac4608729123/spec/index-respec.html

Notice that we did not list you as Editor. We could not. As Coralie Mercier
pointed out in a mail to this group:

  http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webid/2013May/0081.html

"All other W3C editors MUST be participants in the group responsible for the document(s)
they are editing."

  According to the criteria you put forward below for being author of a spec,
in the mail to which this is a reply you wrote:

> You are an editor of the document if you've contributed at least 25% of
> the bulk of the edits to the specification (modulo obvious
> search/replace/bulk copying changes).

So according to your own criteria, you cannot be an author of this spec
either.

But I don't need to rely on your word. Coralie Mercier pointed us to this
Document Roles text http://www.w3.org/Signature/Contributor.html

> Authors by their own initiative or through commitments to the Chairs make substantive contributions that are included within the specification. Frequently an author will make and write a proposal that is then the basis of a section of the specification. Criteria for authorship are the expressed interest (agreed to by the Chairs) to be listed as an author and the substance and quality of the contributions. The Chairs look at the consistency of participation, the willingness to take action items, and how much "authoring" the WG member actually accomplished. This criteria is somewhat relative in that if this role is designated, the Chairs wish to list the top handful of people that consistently plugged away on the work while avoid a list of names occupying the first two pages of the specification. Where the number of authors/editors are small, the Author and Editor role is frequently collapsed in to the Editor designation. Where there are numerous authors, the role will be a specified subset of the Contributor designation which is an Appendix to the specification.

So "make substantive contributions that are included within the specification" is a key
notion here, and though you did help us for a time it was quite short lived in the history
of WebID. As a result I definitively have put your  name in the contributors sections,
because it is absolutely clear that you have  contributed to the work. But just not
as editor or as author. You did for a time, as the mercurial history shows, and the
links to early versions of the spec also show. But according to those criteria
the contributions are no longer editorial,  or authorial. And according to the history
I told in this e-mail they are not conceptual either.

My feeling is that the real issue is that you wanted us to merge two projects that were quite distinct,
and you put a lot of effort into the process that _you_ were working on. These projects
need not be incompatible. If they are compatible, you will have your name on the spec
you have been working on, and the people who were working in this group will have their
name on this spec. I don't really see what the problem is.

So in conclusion I am not sawyed by your arguments here. If you want to fight this
then please follow the official channels, and point them to this response of
mine here. Following your definition and the W3Cs definition I just don't see
how I can do otherwise.

   Yours sincerely,

		Henry Story