Fwd: Re: [foaf-protocols] WebID status recap?

On 07/02/2013 03:07 PM, peter williams wrote:
> Why the focus on that tls spec? It focuses on an applied variant of
> channel bindings tokens (that more generally address non-detection of
> cert-based mitm).
>
> I thought webid made the assumption that states and corporations dont
> engage in such activities (perhaps as ordered, in the case of large
> corporations) and thus such vulnerabilities are just "defined" as out of
> scope for webid?

Peter, even though you see TLS in the WebID-TLS spec name, it has
nothing to do with the classic PKI trust chain verification. The only
aspects of TLS involved in WebID-TLS authentication relate to the
verification of a private key corresponding to the certificate you
authenticate with. In other words, we're just using TLS to make sure
that there is a private key that matches the public key. Nothing more.

Andrei