Re: Lavabit's Ladar Levison: 'If You Knew What I Know About Email, You Might Not Use It'

On 8/10/13 6:13 PM, Kingsley Idehen wrote:
> On 8/10/13 6:05 PM, Melvin Carvalho wrote:
>> Phil Zimmermann, the inventor of popular email encryption service
>> Pretty Good Privacy (PGP) and co-founder of Silent Circle, told us
>> even he was using e-mail less and less, and relying more heavily on
>> mobile messaging services in the quest for privacy. He also explained
>> the gnawing problem of Silent Circle’s e-mail service and why the
>> company was now planning to put servers in Switzerland. Read the full
>> Q&A with Zimmermann below
>>
>> http://www.forbes.com/sites/parmyolson/2013/08/09/e-mails-big-privacy-problem-qa-with-silent-circle-co-founder-phil-zimmermann/
>>

> The issue here is Web 2.0 and SaaS deployment-style online Email
> hosted by a 3rd party. Not sane (conventional) S/MIME compliant Email
> that runs on your own machine [1], controlled by you.

Links:

[1] https://plus.google.com/112399767740508618350/posts/g62rTdRsp11 --
post about Web 2.0 model online Email
[2] http://bit.ly/12hbQWE -- Sending Digital Signed Mails using a
variety of S/MIME compliant Email packages (I need to make the encrypted
email variants of these) .