Re: [foaf-protocols] New attack plucks secrets from HTTPS-protected pages

On 8/5/13 10:33 AM, Peter Williams wrote:
> reputation should be bound to persons (via their identifiers); not keys.

Yes!!!

> Keys (and security services such as signatures from keys) exist as
> assurance evidence, only. By analogy, the local names assigned to
> anonymous graph modes on processing the XML bearing the RDF graph
> don't get used as public references...
> While one can (and spies do) perform behavioral analysis of such
> transient security metadata to build out inferences about membership
> of the cryptonet in order to attack and penetrate the clique, in open
> systems design one traditionally does NOT interfere with that. Its out
> of scope, in some sense. Of course, the standards have to be written
> such that one can “add” the military profile (for which the above is
> IN scope). Cost effective military “COTS” procurements can then be
> based on off the stuff we all use, with a win/win all around since the
> military “upgrade” requires a decent baseline (in windows/Microsoft
> and java/Oracle).
> One saw this clearly in the X.500 world, in which public standards got
> profiled as F.500 standards for phone companies trying to run public
> identity servers, and profiles by NATO for military profiles wanting
> to run a joint multi-national campaign requiring identifies from
> disparate authorities to federate. In the latter, the profile might
> put the tuned up access protocol and its information (aka identity)
> model into an “application context” of multiple protocols,
> furthermore,  cooperating to augment the assurances ... or “protect”
> the transient metadata associated with protocol runs from cryptonet
> analysis.
> For a while it was actually illegal to hide such transient metadata
> (without an export license).

Yep!

> One thinks of the SSL handshake within a handshake, used originally to
> enforce US export controls limiting strong[er] SSL ciphersuites to a
> limited/vetted set of financial institutions. This hid the delivery of
> an inner security service (that acted to turn off software crypto
> limits built-into American OS products). It protected the US export
> service’s cryptonet (the list of banks it was in a deals with)
> This kind of design hygiene seems to keep the peace AND keep us moving
> forward with delivering “useful” strong crypto.

Yep!

URI Everything and Everything is Cool!

It's the URI that makes the Web what it is. That's the magic that's
enabled data-de-silofication at massive scales, while also enabling us
totally re-imagine the concept of structured data representation that's
endowed with varying degrees of human- and machine-comprehensible entity
relationship semantics.

As long as uninvited 3rd parties are incapable of invading our minds we
will have control over our privacy, if we choose :-)

Kingsley