Re: [foaf-protocols] New attack plucks secrets from HTTPS-protected pages

On 8/4/13 6:26 PM, Melvin Carvalho wrote:

> On 5 August 2013 00:10, Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com
> <mailto:kidehen@openlinksw.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 8/4/13 5:34 PM, Melvin Carvalho wrote:
>>

>>     On 4 August 2013 22:54, Peter Williams <home_pw@msn.com
>>     <mailto:home_pw@msn.com>> wrote:
>>
>>         one of the things that came “before its time” is making a
>>         come back. One has to play the “factoring” game “sensibly” -
>>         much as one has to allow security committees to be stacked
>>         with agendized-folks with money (that pays for core research,
>>         too).
>>         If you look in dotNet, there is a particular
>>         ws-trust/ws-security binding. Its compatible with java, etc
>>         (circa 5 years ago, when Java security mattered.) More
>>         importantly, its compatible with apache libs, these days. In
>>         short, the saml process of delivering a
>>         per-recipient encrypted proof key (within the signed XML) was
>>         leveraged so that it delivered a client’s EPHEMERAL rsa key.
>>         Any client proxy (and you can have n of those, and being
>>         generated for a given service instance exposing
>>         service&policy-metadata) can maintain 1000 of these in its
>>         RSA security token cache; before keys overwrite cache slots.
>>         Typically, the client signs web service call headers
>>         (timestamp, and address) using the RSA key, rather than
>>         signing with hmac similarly.
>>         So, if you are worried about your 512 bit RSA being factored
>>         in 500 hours, (or 50, or 5)  why not give it a life time of
>>         500mS, and just use 1000 of them? There is built in
>>         probability drive in every CPU...
>>

>>     Ephemeral keys are a nice option.  But long lived keys also have
>>     advantages:
>>
>>     1. You can build up a reputation for each key
>
>     You can't have it both ways!
>

> Sure it's a trade off.  But of course reputation should be
> transferable from one identity or key to another eg via signing ...

Yes, of course. It doesn't require a single key. It just requires a Web-
and Internet-scale verifiable identifier that denotes Agents. Your
reputation is scoped to your name, ultimately :-)

Note:

1.
http://id.myopenlink.net/describe/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fid.myopenlink.net%2Fabout%2Fid%2Fentity%2Fhttp%2Ftwitter.com%2Fkidehen%23certF0549410169C0513116A03078AF5C59A992BBE57
-- Certificate (its also a signed claim example since you can lookup the
signature too).

2.
http://id.myopenlink.net/describe/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fid.myopenlink.net%2Fcertgen%2Fkey%2F8954
-- Public Key (which is paired with a Private Key)

3. http://id.myopenlink.net/about/id/entity/http/twitter.com/kidehen --
WebID .

Kingsley