Re: privacy definitions -- was: WebID questions

On 30 Sep 2012, at 20:46, Ben Laurie <benl@google.com> wrote:

> On 30 September 2012 10:30, Henry Story <henry.story@bblfish.net> wrote:
>>
>> On 29 Sep 2012, at 19:50, Ben Laurie <benl@google.com> wrote:

>>> Quoting those out of context is not particularly helpful. But for more
>>> on why anonymity is important for privacy...
>>>
>>> http://www.links.org/?p=123
>>> http://www.links.org/?p=124
>>
>> Looking at those two, can we agree that we agree that anonymity should be the default?
>> I believe as you do that when I go to a web site the default should be that I not be
>> identified, and not be tracked. I can choose later to be tracked or identified for
>> that site for a given amount of time or until I change my mind, but the default should
>> be anonymity.
>>
>> ( Within limits of logic of course. If I tell anonymous Y something P
>> which has consequence Q, and some other anonymous Z does something with Q that would have
>> been nearly impossible to know had they not known P, then I could conclude within
>> a certain probability that  Y == Z )
>>
>> The web provides this. Some browsers provide it better than others, but really
>> this is up to them. It is not perfect: ip addresses can be tracked and dns lookups
>> can be tracked. But the web is not reliant on those. It could be deployed just as well
>> on top of Tor. Had people had better memories, we could have had .onion urls plastered
>> on bus stops since the beginning.
>>
>> Anonymity is important for many reasons. Among which is that it helps create a trusted
>> public sphere. It increases my trust in the information I read if I know that the publisher
>> publishes that information that can be read by anonymous readers. Knowing that the publisher
>> cannot tell who is reading what he is publishing is a very strong guarantee that he
>> is not adapting his message to different groups. Oddly enough anonymity has an important role
>> therefore in public discussion.
>>
>> So do we agree here? I think we do.
>
> So far.

ok. So let's see if we can agree further, from here :-)

There are a number of identification options available.
Let me list some of them:

  - anonymous ( 0 identification )
  - cookies   ( site bound )
  - TLS-Origin-Bound-Certificates ( unforgeable cookies )
  - Self-Signed certificates with an .onion WebID
        ( I promised Appelbaum to work on that. This gives you an identity, but nobody knows
          where you or your server are located )
  - Self-Signed certificates with a http(s) WebID
  - CA Signed Certificates
  - DNSSEC Signed Certificates
  - ...?

We agree that anonymous should be the default.
I think we can agree as a matter of simple fact that none of the browsers show
you which of those modes you are in when looking at a web page. You cannot
as a user therefore tell if you are anonymous or not. You cannot therefore tell
if the page you are looking at has been tweaked for you or if it would appear
differently to someone else in the same mode as you. You cannot tell if the
agent on the other side can tie you to a browsing history or not.

Well let me put this in a more nuanced way: you can tell the above from the
side-effects - say if they should you your profile on a google+ page with edit mode
allowed - but that is up to the server to show you that. We both want it to be
up to the user. We don't want it to be up to the user in some complicated conf file
hidden away somewhere. We both want it to be in your face, transparent. I should
in an eyeblink be able to tell if I am anonymous or not, and I should be able
to switch from one mode to the next if and when I want to in a simple easy gesture.

Just as in real life when we put on a mask we know that we are wearing the mask,
so on the web we want to know what mask we are wearing at all times.

These are the improvements I have been fighting ( not alone ) to get browsers to
implement. Are we fighting on the same side here?

Henry