Re: Perceived issues with TLS Client Auth

On 27 September 2012 10:51, Ben Laurie <benl@google.com> wrote:

> On 26 September 2012 17:10, Henry Story <henry.story@bblfish.net> wrote:
> >
> > On 26 Sep 2012, at 17:54, Ben Laurie <benl@google.com> wrote:

> Google+.

> entices me to
> transferred to
> explanations

> enough to notice that my android does not have a certificate - it does a
> TLS request for a client certificate, but receives none - and so asks me

> that supports WebID in one click. I can also determine for any site how
> much information I wish to give that site about me - using access control
> on information at my profile. Someting we need to work on still.
> >>
> >> You seem to have missed out a step - how do these web sites know about
> >> my new WebID?
> >
> > In the scenario described I get my (personal) WebID from Google+ . If I
> were employed by the W3C I would then get a professional WebID by doing the
> same procedure on my W3C profile page.
> >
> > So I then go to say the WebSite of a friend of mine who has his personal
> web server, at a domain
> > joe.name . When I arrive on the front page of https://joe.name/ that
> site does not ask me to log in,
> > it gives me public information that joe is happy for anyone to know.
> Then perhaps I want to login, so I click
> > the login button, and this sets up a procedure described in the spec
> >

> http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/webid/spec/#connecting-at-the-application-layer
> >
> > which starts with a TLS renegotiation and a request for the client
> certificate as explained in the TLS spec.
>
> How does joe.name know this certificate represents you?
>
> > If that results in no certificate a pop up can appear, and any number of
> other authentication systems can be proposed to the user.
> >

> >> Also, if I've been using WebID to log into google for some time, and
> >> my Android phone is new, how do I get logged into G+ in order for
> >> Google to notice that I do not have a cert?
> >
> > You use a password there for Google+ . Luckily you' only need one or two
> passwords, so those
> > could be really long and easy to remember - and also dead safe. I don't
> think I heard that anyone had trouble connecting to Google+ at present with
> any number of devices, even though people have to remember passwords to do
> so?
>
> People forget passwords all the time, even though they have to use
> them regularly. The problem gets much worse for passwords that are
> used rarely.
>
> > The issue we are trying to deal with is having to remember a password
> for all the other sites, and the duplication of information that comes with
> that, the lack of security this duplication brings, the centralisation of
> information that are the consequences of the difficulty of having all of
> the above be easy to use - and so the consequent loss of privacy. WebID
> solves the privacy problem, because it no longer requires centralisation of
> [...]

What about users that wish to take their identity with them across multiple
sites, and are happy to reveal who they are on registration / login?

In this case you would have one certificate, which is generally what I do,
would you consider that a usable solution?