Re: WebID questions -- was: [dane] Call for Adoption: "Using Secure DNS to Associate Certificates with Domain Names For S/MIME"

On 9/27/12 7:26 AM, Ben Laurie wrote:
>>> So, the point is this: object capabilities are a security mechanism,
>> >

>> >A security mechanism can be an object capability.
> What do you mean by this?

There is a relationship between an resource owner entity, a document
entity, and an acl rule (another entity) that enables resource access
control, which in my world view is a capability.

>> >Yes. Also remember that if privacy is about self-calibration of one's
>> >vulnerabilities then the resource publisher is the URI progenitor. These
>> >days, URI creation, discovery, and propagation will occur via tweets, sms,
>> >blog posts, email etc.. Increasingly, folks with discover URIs
>> >serendipitously.

>> >They should never be secret. Just like keeping email addresses secret is a
>> >flaw that reflects folks accepting system deficiency etc..
> Well, if they are not secret, then you do not get the security benefit
> and you end up having to use ACLs, which makes you vulnerable to the
> confused deputy problem.

Only in a totalitarian state.

>> >See comment above.

>> >Yes, and that's what those of us showcasing WebID based ACLs are doing. We
>> >are leveraging existing technology supported by browsers, email clients
>> >etc..
> You are showcasing ACLs, which, as I have said, have not served us
> well, and have known problems.

Put the letters A-C-L aside, I am demonstrating the ability to constrain
access to data based on logic. I don't simply have a list of WebIDs or
WebIDs for groups. I have actual query logic at my disposal too re.,
this capability. Said query logic is webby i.e., it work transitively
over the Giant Global Graph (GGG) that is the Web.