Re: WebID questions -- was: [dane] Call for Adoption: "Using Secure DNS to Associate Certificates with Domain Names For S/MIME"

I forgot to reply to this comment:

On 27 Sep 2012, at 12:13, Ben Laurie <benl@google.com> wrote:

> There is no need to restrict people to using 2 or 3. There is I believe a limit on how many identities people wish to have.
>
> The W3C does not seem to agree - http://www.w3.org/2011/tracking-protection/drafts/tracking-dnt.html claims that some people do not want to be correlated across sites.

Yes. We are not saying the MUST be  correlated across sites, and we are not removing the freedom of people who wish not to be correlated.

When I go to a web site I don't have to click the login button. f I click the login button and it asks me for a certificate I don't have to choose one with a WebID - or choose one at all for that matter.

The browser UI people could add a field in the certificate login selection box for an origin-bound-certificate perhaps. I am not sure how they should present this, nor what the advantages or disadvanteges of doing that would be,  and it is outside the scope of the discussion here.

But if I want to login with an identity I have on the web, and I want this to be correlated, then I don't see why that freedom should not be available to me.

I am just saying that practically most people will not want to have 10000 identities. Certainly if we restrict ourselves to identities that they want to use for correlation, it seems unlikely that people can cope with more than a handful or find it useful.