Re: WebID questions -- was: [dane] Call for Adoption: "Using Secure DNS to Associate Certificates with Domain Names For S/MIME"

On 26 September 2012 23:43, Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com> wrote:
> On 9/26/12 5:18 PM, Ben Laurie wrote:

>>> +1
>>>
>>> the idea of an unforgeable URI seems gobbledegook to me, frankly. When
>>> people spoke of unforgeable things they spoke of things like diamonds that
>>> could not be copied, swords that were made to such perfection that never
>>> could there be two identical versions of them, etc... A URI is by definition
>>> something that can be copied. In fact there is no way of telling of one URI
>>> is an original or another a copy!
>>
>> This is true, and is one reason it is hard to simulate capabilities using
>> URIs.
>

> How do you arrive at these conclusions? If you don't mind, have you taken a
> look at the Linked Data meme and what its about? How URIs resolve to
> structured data etc. Basically, you can denote anything entity using a URI.
> Even better is you take advantage of an HTTP URI since you have the power of
> indirection in play such that a denotation resolves to representation. A URI
> becomes an extremely powerful data source name that enables you work wonders
> with structured data. You can simulate all kinds of capabilities via URIs,
> the only limits are:
>
> 1. our imagination
> 2. our willingness to look at what Linked Data is really about -- forget any
> distracting political wars from the past, it's 2012, let start afresh re.
> AWWW and its capabilities.

Now we're overloading "capabilities" :-)

So, the point is this: object capabilities are a security mechanism,
like ACLs. Their purpose is to restrict access to resources to only
the intended accessors.

With URIs, there are two obvious ways to implement this:

1. Make the URIs unguessable - so, I only get access to the resource
if someone tells me the URI.

2. Link the URI to a public key - so, I only get access to the
resource if I can prove I have the corresponding private key.

The problem with 1 is that the nature of URIs makes it hard to keep
them secret. People like to send them in emails and IMs and they leak
quite easily.

The problem with 2 (which, it should be obvious, fits quite neatly
with WebIDs) is that it requires changes to clients and servers to do
the key proof. Or maybe not, actually ... I guess it could be done at
the back end, wherever you do ACL checks, by instead correlating the
URI and the key presented in the WebID cert.

So ... maybe not such a red herring after all.

Not that this fixes any of the problems I've talked about :-)