Re: WebID questions -- was: [dane] Call for Adoption: "Using Secure DNS to Associate Certificates with Domain Names For S/MIME"

On 9/26/12 5:30 AM, Ben Laurie wrote:
>> >The last thing I remember you stating is that authenticating with one ID across multiple sites is in your view a horrendous thing. Is that the fundamental problem?
> One of them. And not just my view - the view of many. Here's a
> presentation from a colleague that illustrates our thinking on the use
> of client certs for authn:
> http://tools.ietf.org/agenda/81/slides/tls-1.pdf.
If that's such a horrendous problem, and you don't want to mint a WebID
per nym (pseudonym, aptonym, mononym etc..). what's the practical solution?

You have the option to export and import PKCS#12 documents, if you want
to stick with a single WebID. You can repeat the Cert. generation loop
using apps that trivialize Certificate generation circa. 2012.

Identity is a very abstract concept. A WebID is at best a condition
splice of one's identity that's ultimately aligned to conditional
resource access via constrained URI de-reference. I can operate
confidently as 'Peter Parker' of 'Spiderman' without compromising these
identities, via WebID (verifiable agent identifiers), the WebID
protocol, and Linked Data resources. The only limit is our imagination.