Re: [dane] Call for Adoption: "Using Secure DNS to Associate Certificates with Domain Names For S/MIME"

On 9/26/12 4:44 AM, Ben Laurie wrote:
> On 25 September 2012 23:39, Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com> wrote:
>> On 9/25/12 5:31 PM, Ben Laurie wrote:

>>> Gah! What does this have to do with WebID? If I substitue "magic pixie
>>> dust" for "WebID" in the above, well, I have a fantastic example of
>>> how magic pixie dust secures the web. Great. Now what?
>>>
>>> OK, I guess there's one nugget in there: apparently magic pixie dust
>>> can be nipped from unauthenticated email I sent.
>>>
>>> I'm not feeling very enlightened.
>>>

>> Ben,
>>
>> I assumed you attempted to explore WebID via my-profile.eu and hit some
>> problems. Hence my comments.
>>
>> If you are interested in taking a quick look at what's possible with WebID
>> and ACLs, I have a simple example on G+. Here are the components in use re.
>> aforementioned demo:
>>
>> 1. WebID -- verifiable identifier in the form of a personal URI
>> 2. X.509 Certificate -- watermarked with a WebID in its SAN slot
>> 3. Profile Document -- a document with structured content based on the RDF
>> data model
>> 4. Access Control List Ontology -- this describes the authorization modes
>> and how they are scoped to WebIDs.
>>
>> Links:
>>
>> 1. http://bit.ly/O4LNKf -- A simple guide to Web-scale verifiable identity
>> that leverages WebID based ACLs .
> A great example of something I could not possibly ask the average end
> user to do.

I am not 100% sure to what you direct that comment. I can tell you this,
a 12 year old was able to complete the entire task in an hour. Full
comprehension of Turtle as a digital notation for
subject-predicate-object sentence took about half a day.

Underestimating the ability of users has a lot to do with all problems
in the realm of identity and privacy. Most computer users know how to
make a document. They also know how to drag and drop a document to a
Dropbox, Skydrive etc., folder as part of a Web publication effort.

> Is anyone planning to address my questions?

What is the question?