Re: [saag] Liking Linkability

On 10/24/12 8:03 AM, Nathan wrote:
> Robin Wilton wrote:
>>

>> Robin Wilton
>> Technical Outreach Director - Identity and Privacy
>> Internet Society
>>
>> email: wilton@isoc.org
>> Phone: +44 705 005 2931
>> Twitter: @futureidentity

>>> I agree that emails are a problem, but not at all sure why keys are?
>>> In the case of appropriate selective disclosure mechanisms, even if
>>> there were a third party involved, they would not be able to link uses
>>> of the keys. Also, if you insist on using linkable keys, then per-site
>>> keys do not involve third parties.
>>>

>> It may just be that I'm not getting a clear mental picture of your
>> architecture. But here was my thinking:
>> - If you use symmetric keys, you get a system which can't scale
>> unless you opt for Schneier's idea of a key server… but then the key
>> server becomes a point of potential panopticality.
>>
>> - If you use PKI, *and* you want your communicating parties to be
>> able to validate the certs they're relying on, then you have to
>> design a CRL- or OCSP-like mechanism into the architecture, and again
>> you end up with a component which is potentially panoptical. (Plus,
>> you have to address the 20-year-old problem of how to make PKI usable
>> by human beings, when recent history suggests that PKI only takes off
>> where human beings are kept well away from it).
>
> CRL is pretty much built in to WebID, if you remove a public key from
> the document pointed to by your uri-identifier, then it's no longer
> valid for use in WebID - auth can't happen, rendering the cert useless
> for WebID.

For sake of clarity, Nathan is speaking about the WebID authentication
protocol.

A WebID on its own refers to an resolvable (de-referencable) identifier.
The WebID protocol verifies the aforementioned identifier (entity
denotation mechanism) via a combination of cryptography and entity
relationship semantics oriented logic.