Re: [saag] Liking Linkability

On 10/22/12 8:50 AM, Harry Halpin wrote:

> Again, I think a good approach towards WebID CG is to say "Here is
> what use-cases its good at (you control a URI, you like FOAF and the
> SemWeb, you want a public profile), here's what use-cases its not good
> at or specialized at (linkability, UI, etc.)" rather than attempt to
> paint WebID as a silver bullet across as many mailing lists as
> possible. Realistically, most standards and techniques have
> trade-offs. Whether or not industry or users agree with your
> particular trade-offs determines the success of the standard in my
> experience.

I've encouraged anyone that will listen not to pain WebID as a silver
bullet. It's a critical piece of the picture, but not the entire picture.

> Good luck! Again, there's some good ideas in WebID, there's some ideas
> that I personally think are good (stronger authentication) but
> unlikely to be adopted by industry (such as FOAF), open problems
> (multiple devices) and there's some ideas I don't personally agree
> with (approach of WebID to linkability and URIs) but happy to see
> other people use if they if they have different use-cases.

I think we are reaching a critical beachead with Ben. I am also
confident WebID IG and RWW community groups will be encouraged by this
beachead. Ultimately, I am even confident that we are going to solve
this problem.

As I said, all we need to do is just get a long and process feedback.
Live demonstrations (where possible) should always be used to
substantiate claims. We do that, and as I said, we are going to solve
this problem :-)