Re: unlinkability

On 7 October 2012 21:16, Melvin Carvalho <melvincarvalho@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 6 October 2012 12:03, Henry Story <henry.story@bblfish.net> wrote:
>

>> On 6 Oct 2012, at 12:01, Melvin Carvalho <melvincarvalho@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>

>> On 6 October 2012 11:42, Henry Story <henry.story@bblfish.net> wrote:
>>

>>> On 6 Oct 2012, at 11:39, Melvin Carvalho <melvincarvalho@gmail.com>
>>> wrote:

>>> Harry stressed that this was a key consideration to him.  As an
>>> influential member of the social web (he was chair of the W3C Social Web
>>> XG), I would consider his opinions important.  His complain was that he
>>> raised this before, and that the webid group did not look at it.
>>>

>>> But you have not summarised in your own words what his complaint is. So
>>> how do you know we did not answer it?
>>>

>>> If we, as a group, are able to address such concerns, or show that we
>>> have evaluated them and proven then are non issues (for example in a FAQ),
>>> it may help bring the benefits of WebID to a wider audience.
>>>

>>> That is why I ask you to express in your words what the problem is, and
>>> see if you can come up with an answer to the
>>> problem. And indeed we should add this on a list of question and answers
>>> that comes up.
>>>

>> I have quoted the passage cited by Hannes, Harry and others.
>>

>> yes, but you have to develop that passage and see how it applies to
>> WebID. It is not an obvious passage at all, and it is not clear it applies
>> at all to WebID.
>>
>> It's something we (as a group) have been asked to look at.  In truth,
>> it's been quite a hard conversation to follow as there were many replies
>> and points raised in a short period of time.  I dont know if unlinking the
>> public key from the URI provides more 'unlinkability', it was just a
>> suggestion.
>>

>> But it seems unclear to me that the concerns have been addressed.
>>

>> Well I did in fact answer that mail. But I am going to send out a new
>> mail right now, to make sure it is clear.
>>
>> Certainly there was no acknowledgement of that.
>>

>> By whome? By Harry? He never acknowledges mails that don't go in his
>> direction.
>>

> OK, I've managed to look through a lot of this now.
>
> Unlinkability seems to be useful when you want to provide anonymity or
> pseudo anonymity.
>
> Both valuable use cases.
>
> I am guessing the perception of those that have never tried webid may be
> that the certificate is sent *every* time.
>
> This can be avoided as follows:
>
> - Do not send a cert when the popup arises
> - Use a different browser
> - We create a public cert at http://webid.info/#anon

One other thing Joe Presbrey has done for anonymity is to write the
mod_auth_everyone apache modules which allows you to view a webpage
anonymously if you dont send a certificate.

There are more sophisticated techniques for unlinkability such as blind
signing [1] and knowledge proofs [2] which it may be valuable to look at,
depending on the use case (eg for DC nets or AV net).

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blind_signature
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proof_of_knowledge