Re: Browser UI & privacy - a discussion with Ben Laurie

From: Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com>
Date: Fri, 05 Oct 2012 12:56:00 -0400
To: Henry Story <henry.story@bblfish.net>
CC: Harry Halpin <hhalpin@w3.org>, Hannes Tschofenig <hannes.tschofenig@gmx.net>, Carvalho Melvin <melvincarvalho@gmail.com>, public-identity@w3.org, public-philoweb@w3.org, Ben Laurie <benl@google.com>, "public-webid@w3.org" <public-webid@w3.org>
On 10/5/12 12:37 PM, Henry Story wrote:
>   C. It would not be problematic to enhance WebID so that a
> certificate be verified by checking the signature of the issuer
That's already achievable via an ACL. I don't need a specific protocol
to determine the nature of my ACL or data access policies. Right now, I
have the option to use conventional certificate signature verification
in conjunction with the webid <-> public key relationship. The same
applies to other factors such as a certificates fingerprint.

At times, we get a little confused about WebID (a specific protocol),
graphs, logic, and the data access rules/policies. When all is said an
done, WebID is just about exploiting the ingenuity of URIs due to the
fact that you can place said URIs in X.509 certificates. URIs add the
power of indirection to the mix, and via Linked Data principles a URI
resolves to an entity relationship graphs endowed with explicit or
implicit entity relationship semantics.

Someday, I hope to understand why the virtues of this reality
(accentuated by the ubiquitous World Wide Web) is all so complex, can't
we all just get along?  I believe we are all seeking a solution to the
Web-scale verifiable identity problem, one that is ultimately grounded
in logic and semantics rather than any particular data representation
format :-)

Twitter/Identi.ca handle: @kidehen