Re: Browser UI & privacy - a discussion with Ben Laurie

From: Dick Hardt <dick.hardt@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2012 10:26:27 -0700
Cc: Melvin Carvalho <melvincarvalho@gmail.com>, Henry Story <henry.story@bblfish.net>, "public-webid@w3.org" <public-webid@w3.org>, public-identity@w3.org, "public-philoweb@w3.org" <public-philoweb@w3.org>, Ben Laurie <benl@google.com>
To: Hannes Tschofenig <hannes.tschofenig@gmx.net>
 a somewhat tangential comment.

On Oct 4, 2012, at 8:10 AM, Hannes Tschofenig <hannes.tschofenig@gmx.net> wrote:

>   $ Identifier:   A data object that represents a specific identity of
>      a protocol entity or individual.  See [RFC4949].
>
> Example: a NAI is an identifier

Easy to  agree to.

>   $ Identity:   Any subset of an individual's attributes that
>      identifies the individual within a given context.  Individuals
>      usually have multiple identities for use in different contexts.
>
> Example: the stuff you have at your Facebook account

Not so easy to agree to.

I would argue that your identity is everything about you, your Facebook data being part of your identity. Saying I have multiple identities is confusing. There is only one of me. Any slicing becomes challenging as there are no sharp lines between who I am on Facebook, Twitter, Google+ or LinkedIn. There is lots of overlap.

-- Dick