Re: #URIs and redirections

All --

A potentially interesting bit here, since one of the major
points of all this discussion is interoperability of tools
and the power of follow-your-nose...

On Nov 24, 2012, at 05:52 AM, Henry Story wrote:

> - http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/knows
> - http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/mbox
> - http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/Person
> - http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/Agent

The above all look right in my Mail.app, and I can click any
of them and get redirected to <http://xmlns.com/foaf/spec/>.

(
Tangentially, this redirection seems overly broad.

Remembering that 303s can be applied to the document portion
of a URI, but cannot take the fragment ID into account [while
303 *targets* *can* include a fragment ID.], I would expect
the first URI above to redirect to either
<http://xmlns.com/foaf/spec/#knows> or
<http://xmlns.com/foaf/spec/knows> [which could then
redirect again to <http://xmlns.com/foaf/spec/#knows>] ...
and actually, I'd expect the generic /spec/ to redirect to
a specifically versioned target, not the other way around...
)

But the following, which Henry initially seemed to be
suggesting as better (though his conclusion seems otherwise)?

> - http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/knows#•
> - http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/mbox#•
> - http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/Person#•
> - http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/Agent#•

These URIs don't look right in Mail.app.

The URI highlighting stops at the last solidus ("/"), so
they all look like links to the same page --
<http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/> -- and that is where clicking
them takes me.

(I am then redirected to the same <http://xmlns.com/foaf/spec/>
as above -- but again, if the redirections were handled as
I suggest above, this end result would be very wrong.)

Be seeing you,

Ted