Re: Hash vs Hashless URIs

On 19 November 2012 23:58, Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com> wrote:

> All,
>
> To understand this old problem please read: http://www.w3.org/TR/2007/WD-*
> *cooluris-20071217/#hashuri<http://www.w3.org/TR/2007/WD-cooluris-20071217/#hashuri>.
>
> Important point to note, this matter ultimately becomes a permathread
> whenever a spec attempts to pick one style over the other.
>
> The solution to these kinds of problems stem back to biblical stories,
> such as the one illustrating the wisdom of Solomon re. splitting a disputed
> baby in half.
>
> HTTP URIs are "horses for course" compliant. It is always best to keep
> them that way when designing specs for HTTP based solutions.

Thanks
"Conclusion.Hash URIs should be preferred for rather small and stable sets
of resources that evolve together. An ideal case are RDF Schema
vocabularies and OWL ontologies, where the terms are often used together,
and the number of terms is unlikely to grow much in the future.

Hash URIs without content negotiation can be implemented by simply
uploading static RDF files to a Web server, without any special server
configuration. This makes them popular for quick-and-dirty RDF publication.

303 URIs should be used for large sets of data that are, or may grow,
beyond the point where it is practical to serve all related resources in a
single document.

If in doubt, it's better to use the more flexible 303 URI approach.
"

Will try and digest this a bit more.  I may still be missing something but
if you have a paradigm of one data item per page and call it #, like
facebook do, I'm still trying to see the advantage of 303s.  As pointed
out, facebook is not a small data set.