Re: WebID definition - take 2

On 11/5/12 12:12 PM, Henry Story wrote:
> Kingsley and Jürgen were quite strongly -1 on the TPAC definition, and Kingsley even made this known on the IRC at the time ( one hour after the discussion, since he was not present ). I just spent some time with them to see where he would agree as the arguments on the list were very long http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webid/2012Nov/0000.html
>
> I. Agreement:
> -------------
>
> We agreed on the following two points:
>
> (1) A WebID is "A URL that denotes an Agent - Person, Software or Organisation."
>
>     I think we probably have 100% agreement on this everywhere.
>     Note that we use _U_R_L_  here as this makes it clear that the Identifier is dereferenceable.
>
>     ( Also the idea was that this is easier than defining an HTTP URL, since one would then be left over with HTTP or HTTPS or ... ) The URL concept captures the most important part of the Web which is that you there is a canonical way of dereferencing the URL and getting the document that it names. It should be possible then for the LDP folks to define the HTTP subset of WebIDs as being the ones they are interested in.
>
>     Also I would like to use Tor's .onion and i2p's .garlic  urls in order to be able to make a strong case for the value of having social networks in those anonymised systems. This is really important in the security space. ( it turns out that those are also http urls - but that's a bit of a hack that they are ! )
>
> (2) "The WebID when dereferenced MUST return a document/representation that describes the URL referent uniquely."
>
>    This makes it possible to use different forms of authentication given different identifying descriptions:
>
>    a) Using openid: { <#me> foaf:openid <> }
>    b) Using email:  { <#me> foaf:mbox <mailto:joe@name.com> }
>    c) using a postal mail: { <#i> :office [
>                                       :street "32 Vassar Street";
>                                       :street2 "MIT CSAIL Room 32-G524";
>                                       :city "Cambridge";
>                                       :postalCode "02139";
>                                       :country "USA"
>                                      ]
>                              }
>    d) using a telephone: { <#i> :office [  :phone <tel:+1-617-253-5702> ] . }
>    e) using a public key { <#i> cert:key .... }
>
> As I understand the main reason we shifted from the current definition which was restricting WebIDs to public keys, was to be able to allow wider range of definitions and so a wider number of authentication protocols to be associated with a WebID.
>
>    Notice that all these graphs describe the user with some inverse functional property or owl key, which is what makes these "uniquely identifying" description, or what is known in philosophy/logic as Definite Descriptions.
>
>   The public key of course has a lot of privacy advantages over the others options... but that is what will be described by the WebID Authentication Protocol over TLS.

> [...]
Henry,

Great summary.

I would like to clarify an important item that hasn't quite come through
in your summary, with regards to hash URIs and Turtle. First off, the
pragmatic utility of both is obvious and a no-brainer to us. Our concern
is all about their insertion into the WebID definition when the desired
pragmatic benefits are most effective when used to drive implementation
guides and exploitation examples.

A WebID verifier should never be coded specifically for a hash URL. It
should simply de-reference the URL in the SAN of an X.509 cert. and then
process the data retrieved, if it can.

Please note, the statement above doesn't imply that Turtle can't be
strongly encouraged (via SHOULD or MUST) as the minimal format to be
supported by publishers of profile documents and implementers of
verifiers. The reason for Turtle's viability, in this regard, boils down
to it being the format that best negates the following Linked Data
exploitation hurdles:

1. domain ownership
2. dns server access and appropriate privileges
3. web server access and appropriate privileges
4. use of URLs to unambiguously denote entities associated with
description (or descriptor) documents.

All we need to do is use Turtle and hash URIs for WebID implementation
and exploitation examples [1][2][3].

Links:

1. http://bit.ly/MYLsMu -- DIY Linked Data deployment using Dropbox
2. http://bit.ly/O4LNKf -- How to create and control your own verifiable