Re: two mailing lists - is one too many

On 26 Jan 2012, at 08:55, Coralie Mercier wrote:

> On Tue, 24 Jan 2012 12:46:33 +0100, Melvin Carvalho <melvincarvalho@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 23 January 2012 21:01, Henry Story <henry.story@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> We have two public mailing lists for the WebID Community Group.
>>> The XG mailing list has all those who subscribed to the XG mailing
>>> list + all the members of the WebID Community Group, while the
>>> public-webid mailing list only has the WebID members and those who
>>> joined and subscribed to that. The number of members are
>>>

>>> - 90 e-mail accounts for  public-xg-webid@w3.org
>>> - 26                 for  public-webid@w3.org
>>>
>>> I think it would be good to close one of them as otherwise discussions
>>> will end up be going in parallel in both groups, and so water down the
>>> conversation.
>>>
>>> So the ideal may be to move everyone on public-xg-webid to public-webid.
>>> But if that cannot be done without asking everybody to resubscribe,
>>> then I think it may be better to close the public-webid mailing list,
>>> and stick with the weird XG legacy.
>>
>> Perhaps the CG mailing list should focus on the nitty gritty of the spec.
>>
>> And more general discussions inc. WebID return foaf-protocols, and
>> apps in the readwrite web group.
>>
>> The reason I suggest this is that there have been some comments about
>> the volume of mails on this list being a chalenge follow, so splitting
>> things up could allow a degree of focus.

( The volume of e-mails was not generated by too many people participating but
by a few people participating too much. And we always had the possibility of
going to the read write web community group and using the foaf protocols group.
The question is not about those group here, but about webid-xg and webid groups)

> Hi all,
>
> I'm watching this thread and recommend that when you reach a decision as to the number of lists, you let us know.

I think that really depends on the procedures that you at the W3C are
allowed to do. So here is what we need to base our decision on:

- is it possible for the W3C to move everyone from xg list to public-webid
  list without asking each of the people there to do this manually?

Henry