Re: Hash vs Hashless URIs

On 12/11/12 9:14 AM, Melvin Carvalho wrote:

> On 11 December 2012 14:48, ☮ elf Pavlik ☮
> <perpetual-tripper@wwelves.org <mailto:perpetual-tripper@wwelves.org>>
> wrote:
>
>     Excerpts from Melvin Carvalho's message of 2012-11-21 15:51:49 +0000:
>     > On 21 November 2012 15:43, ☮ elf Pavlik ☮
>     <perpetual-tripper@wwelves.org
>     <mailto:perpetual-tripper@wwelves.org>>wrote:
>     >
>     > > Excerpts from Kingsley Idehen's message of 2012-11-21 14:18:13
>     +0000:
>     > > > Please call vote on this matter. I have better things to do
>     with my
>     > > > time. If a majority want a WebID to be defined a hash based
>     HTTP URI,
>     > > > let's get that in the open right now. We all have decisions
>     to make
>     > > > about how we spend our time and priorities across our respective
>     > > > development efforts.
>     > >
>     > > $ curl -I http://sebastian.tramp.name
>     > > HTTP/1.1 303 See Other
>     > > Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2012 14:33:16 GMT
>     > > Server: Apache/2.2.14 (Ubuntu)
>     > >
>     > > personally i would also like to use WebID without #i or #me or
>     #self or
>     > > #elf or #wtf ;)
>     > >
>     >
>     > elf, can you explain why you would want this ... do you have any
>     specific
>     > reason, or is it simply a 'vanity' url?
>     first of all apologies for this super delayed reply!
>
>     to start in very general way, i like when we design technology
>     that serves people and make sure that we don't expect people to
>     stretch their comfort ONLY to fit some technological solution (at
>     the same time i don't mind encouraging some stretching but
>     motivated with more extensional reasons!) i also realize that we
>     design with certain group of people in mind as well - *developers*
>     - but if someone needs to stretch from technical reasons ... ;)
>
>     when i think of a concept of ID, i see most people identifying
>     themselves nowadays with either their email address (including
>     unfortunate @twitter thing) or their homepage / online profile. i
>     see various challenges people from webfinger/simple web discovery
>     face with using email like identifiers, and i agree that we can
>     simplify certain things by sticking to HTTP. when it comes to
>     identifying onself with certain HTTP URL, may people may have
>     their homepage, blog, various online profiles. sometimes people
>     also print them on their personal cards. i've never seen someone
>     using a URL with #something it for personal homepage or online
>     profile. i understand distinction between referencing an online
>     profile and entity which this profile describes, still requiring
>     people to use #whatever feel to me like putting burden on those
>     who *just want to use this damn thing*, and very likely brining
>     confusion to broad audience.

> [...]
Melvin,

The issue isn't hash or hashless HTTP URIs. The issue is simply about
URIs (Uniform Resource Identifiers) where the "R" is broken because it
means "Resource" and the problem with "Resource" is that its really
supposed to be a synonym of "Entity" .  Resources or Entities exist in
different realms. For example a Web document is a Web realm entity, each
of us is an Entity of a different realm from the Web. Thus, the
denotation mechanisms have nuanced implications that continue to be lost
in these permathreads.

As I said above, the issue is that you have Entities in different realms
associated with realm oriented denotation mechanisms. One camp wants the
denotation mechanism to be http: scheme URIs which are unintuitive (but
cost effective), when the realm is the World Wide Web. Another camp
wants the denotation mechanism to be some other scheme which is more
intuitive than http (but less cost-effective) when the realm is the
World Wide Web, but not so when the realm is the Internet.

Remember, I explicitly said to TimBL: "I'll concede http: scheme
specificity for WebID definition since he sees http: colloquially
meaning Web" . Personally, I prefer URIs to be the focal point of modern
name resolution and profile discovery  oriented protocols.
Unfortunately, I am now much less interested in arguing about the
virtues and wisdom inherent in such an interoperable approach, with
regards to WebID.

Others: to really understand why myself, Ted, Toby, Stephane, and many
others who care about interop it might be worth digesting these
presentation excerpts:

1.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PU7nKBNR1Vs&feature=player_detailpage#t=1276s
-- Architecture vs Engineering