Re: hash in WebID - cachability problem

On 4 Dec 2012, at 19:47, Ted Thibodeau Jr <tthibodeau@openlinksw.com> wrote:

> On Dec 2, 2012, at 12:25 PM, Henry Story wrote:
>
>> But now I wonder how that fits with Ted Thibodeau's position
>> on the KeyChain [1]. If  I take your argument above and replace
>> Tabulator by OSX Keychain bug ( as shown in this picture
>> http://tinyurl.com/cpbpcqe  ) we get the following:
>>
>>> neither Linked Data, WebID nor the AWWW are about the KeyChain
>>> or any other product for that matter. There's no news about
>>> the challenges posed to clicking on the SAN of the Apple OSX
>>> Keychain. That's too solution specific to be used as an
>>> argument *against* staying with IETF findings re., standards
>>> that affect other Web-scale Linked Data endeavors .
>>
>> Assuming that the clicking on the OSX keychain SAN URI is not
>> more important than the Tabulator Project, as far as Linked
>> Data goes, then it seems that your argument above (which I
>> think is a good one - and which TimBL needs to address  in
>> more detail than I was able to do) requires you to apply that
>> argument back to your OSX keychain.
>
> Suggesting that "it's hard(er) to implement some functionality
> when WebID permits non-hash URIs" is not the same as saying "this
> tool does this troublesome thing when WebID uses a hash URIs".

People who do real implementations of Linked Data in javascript
on the browser are telling us this is problematic for them: speed
matters in user interface, and the 303 is creating real usability
issues.

The OSX Keychain argument you deploy with such insistence is a bug
against the URL, URI, and IRI specs, and there furthermore is no
use case that would ever make it widely adopted - as it is way too
geeky to go and look at that part of the keychain.

> As Nathan says --
>> [[
>>> RFC 2616 says:
>>> "The 303 response MUST NOT be cached, but the response to
>>> the second (redirected) request might be cacheable."
>>>
>>> HTTPBis says:
>>> "A 303 response SHOULD NOT be cached unless it is indicated
>>> as cacheable by Cache-Control or Expires header fields."
>>>
>>> Of course most tooling will not cache 303s as it's been
>>> a MUST NOT for 13+ years.
>> ]]
>

> Initial RFC 2616 client sequence is --
>
> 1. dereference <http://dbpedia.org/resource/Linked_Data>
> 2. receive 303 to <http://dbpedia.org/page/Linked_Data>
>   (note that intervening machinery doesn't cache this result,
>   and client proceeds to --)
> 3. dereference <http://dbpedia.org/page/Linked_Data>
> 4. receive document
>   (note that intervening machinery caches *that*, associated
>   with <http://dbpedia.org/page/Linked_Data>, and *not*
>   with <http://dbpedia.org/resource/Linked_Data>)
>
> Future RFC 2616 sequence --
>
> 1. dereference <http://dbpedia.org/resource/Linked_Data>
> 2. receive 303 to <http://dbpedia.org/page/Linked_Data>
> 3. dereference <http://dbpedia.org/page/Linked_Data>
> 4. receive 200 OK and previously cached document

yes, that is indeed what I understood of Nathan's proposal.
Where 2 can be a cached result ( which means your browser can
go to your hard drive to fetch the info, and does not need to
go all the way to the remote server )

> The differences under HTTPbis are relatively small.  The 303
> result *might* be cached -- *if* Cache-Control or Expires header
> say so -- and so a few machine interactions might be saved, but
> the end result will be the same.

The caching possibility does make things more palatable engineering
wise for HTTPBis. But I can not find any reference to it in the very
voluminous HTTPBis docs. As soon as someone points me to it, I'll add
it to the wiki.

> Now, in the WebID world, which the above isn't quite...
>
> When I dereference the /page/ URI, I get a document back.
> That document could include statements like --
>
>   <http://dbpedia.org/resource/Linked_Data>
>      :describedBy
>         <http://dbpedia.org/page/Linked_Data>
>
> -- and, depending on my WebID-aware application, and interaction
> with the user, and other decisions, I might make note of that --
> such that in future, my default lookup is not
> <http://dbpedia.org/resource/Linked_Data>, but the document
> which I know to describe that entity, i.e.,
> <http://dbpedia.org/page/Linked_Data>.
>

> Henry, you said:
> "HttpBis requires cache control headers"

( yes, I meant "HTTPBis require cache control headers if you wish to
 have your redirect metadata cached )

> That's not accurate.  HTTPbis *allows* Cache-Control and
> Expires headers to be taken into account when decisions are
> made about whether or not to cache a 303 result.

I am still looking for a pointer to where it says this.

> Will DBpedia-on-Virtuoso include those headers in future?
>
> All but guaranteed, once HTTPbis reaches sufficient stability,
> and this update gets high enough on our implementation priority
> list for Virtuoso.
>
> (Note -- "DBpedia" is not the same as "OpenLink", but the public
> server face of DBpedia is mostly Virtuoso...)
>

> You also say,
> "If the dbpedia folks can't even get these basic engineering
> right..."
>
> by which you're really targeting OpenLink and Virtuoso, of
> which fact I'm sure you're aware.

Sorry I thought at the time that these HTTPBis redirects
where widely adopted already.

> Now let me be clear.  "Basic engineering" means conformance with
> today's active standards and specifications.

Good to hear this.