Re: Ancient w3 browsers

Thanks Dan! And apologies for the slow reply. If you do ever come across code for your browser, I would love to archive a copy of it.

For everyone else on the list:

I’m working on archiving the earliest browsers. (By “earliest” I mean, somewhat artificially, pre-Mosaic 1.0.) I’m sure I’m preaching to the choir here when I say that these are important artifacts in web history. Putting together this archive is a relatively urgent task, since much of this code is/was housed on FTP servers that are being taken offline, rendering the earliest versions of the earliest browsers at risk of being lost entirely.

Right now the archive is on a personal page, but if/when appropriate I would be interested in moving it into an institutional home – recommendations gratefully received.

http://9p.sdf.org/who/tweedy/ancient_browsers/ <http://9p.sdf.org/who/tweedy/ancient_browsers/index.html>

YOUR HELP REQUESTED: I’ve searched exhaustively for every version of these browsers that I can find; below is a summary of what’s currently missing. *Please* let me know if you have copies of anything listed: e.flanigan@lmu.de or tweedy@gmail.com.

Missing browsers:
------------------------

FineWWW (Tom Fine); w3 Browser (Jim Whitescarver); Dckc/Convex X11 Browser (Dan Connolly)

Missing versions:
------------------------

WorldWideWeb/Nexus: pre-0.12
LineMode: 0.9 and earlier
Viola: pre-July 1992 versions
Erwise: does anyone know if there was more than one release? There’s confusion between v 0.1 and v 1.0
Midas: pre-1.0
TkWWW: 0.8 and earlier
MacWWW/SAMBA: 1.02 and earlier
Lynx: 2.0.12 and earlier
Mosaic (X11): 0.13 and earlier

Unknown unknowns:

Any other ancient browsers I’m not even aware of?

Regards and thanks to all!

Tweedy Flanigan