Re: Hosted source format?

Hi John,

On 2024-07-11 19:03, John Hudson wrote:
> At that time, he presumed the hosted source format for IFT would be an
> uncompressed TTF or OTF file, but I pointed out that license
> agreements might be worded in such a way that webfonts need to be
> /hosted/ as WOFF2 or WOFF. Garret thought it should be possible for
> the hosted source font to be pre-compressed as WOFF2 or WOFF, then
> decompressed, subsetted, and recompressed as WOFF2 for delivery. I
> wanted to check on the status of this query, and wasn’t able to find a
> definite answer in the working draft text.

That used to be the case, in particular for the old range-request method.

With the new draft, the incremental version of the font is a regular
sfnt font with two extra tables holding the links to the patches. This
means that WOFF compression will yield a bit-identical font; and WOFF2
compression can be used, and will yield a functionally identical font,
provided certain conditions are met when creating the incremental version:
https://www.w3.org/TR/IFT/#ift-and-woff2

--
Chris Lilley
@svgeesus