Re: Investigation of Existing Encoding Formats

On 2021-01-27 23:09, Garret Rieger wrote:

>     CBOR (Concise Binary Object Representation)
>
> CBOR - Wikipedia <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CBOR>, rfc8949
> <https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc8949>

I agree that CBOR looks like a good candidate; standardized, multiple
implementations.

It would perhaps be wise to encode some sample transactions in CBOR and
in the originally proposed custom encoding, just to check that the
overall sizes are comparable. But assuming that checks out, this does
look like the best choice from the options you listed.

Ah, I notice that this is one of the more modern RFCs which is also
available as-authored in html, as well as the traditional IETF "looks
like a lineprinter" format.

Compare

   https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc8949

and

   https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc8949.html

Oh cool, specref already has this

   https://api.specref.org/bibrefs?refs=rfc8949

so a reference in the bikeshed like [[rfc8949]] will work correctly.

--
Chris Lilley
@svgeesus