Re: Glyph Closure Scaling

On 19082019 10:00 am, Roderick Sheeter wrote:
>   /* font face for Bengali, unicode-range includes danda */
>   /* font face for Telugu, unicode-range includes danda */
>   [Bengali text that uses danda ... which will flip to the Telugu font
> for the danda (and any other shared character)]
>
> In the sketch above the danda for Telugu is always used because it's
> the last declared and thus the highest priority supporting face.
> Rendering Bengali text will use the Telugu danda and snap any layout
> features involving it.

Ouch.

The danda and double danda characters require script-specific glyph
forms that coordinate with the proportions and weights of the individual
scripts. For the Bengali, you would really want to display the Bengali
danda glyphs*, not the Telugu, which are likely to be too short and too
light.

* Also worth noting that Bengali has two traditional forms of danda: a
straight one that can often be shared with the Devanagari set, and one
with ball terminals that is used in traditional poetry setting. In our
Bengali fonts, we treat this poetic form as a stylistic glyph variant of
the Bengali danda glyphs, so there is even more reason to ensure that
the danda of another glyph is substituted.

Of course, all this could have been avoided if Unicode had opted to
encode script-specific danda characters, but as it is we need mechanisms
to control the form, either by always getting the glyph from a
script-specific font or checking <locl> OTL feature substitutions for
individual scripts.

What about things like the Vedic extension characters, subsets of which
are used with a variety of Indic scripts, but also require
script-specific forms, which sometimes are quite distinctive and subject
to different shaping behaviour in particular scripts.

JH

--

John Hudson
Tiro Typeworks Ltd    www.tiro.com

NOTE: In the interests of productivity, I am currently
dealing with email on only two days per week, usually
Monday and Thursday unless this schedule is disrupted
by travel. If you need to contact me urgently, please
use some other method of communication. Thank you.